Size of kicker motor

FISHSTALKER

I have a 22' with a honda 8hp for trolling. For some time now I have thought I should replacce it with a 20hp. The reason is, in the wind, my boat is like a sale. (It can blow around in circles) It will lose control easily unless I use my Minn Kota on the bow for control.

I'm wondering if any of you have gone through this? Does the larger 30" shaft 20hp kicker maintain control?

My main motor is a 225 hp and the lowest idle troll speed I can reach is 3mph.

I have a 20.5' starcraft center console with a 15 hp merc , worked well except with a stiff wind. I talked to boat dealer and they sold me on a "sailboat" type prop. It diggs and holds great in the wind without adding more rpm's or having folks move to one side of the boat for a turn. Down side weeds don't get cut up from prop and wrap up and cause me tp power up a little as they slow me down. Then at the end of the day I see them on the prop when getting ready to run it. Just a cheaper way to go without buying a "new" and bigger motor.

I agree I would look into a very low pitch prop just like the ones that come with the Pro Kicker or T-8/T-9 by Yamaha. They hold unbelievable in rough water even in the ditch while troughing or going into the waves, they also use these props on Merc's BigFoot series low HP motors. They bite and hold the water much better, If I'm not mistaken the are around 11 pitch or something close to it. Standard props on low HP motor aren't worth a darn when using them for kicker power, the difference is night and day. My last rig had a 9.9 4 stroke with a standard prop and my new rig (same model same boat) has a 4 blade prop on a Pro kicker and the difference trolling is night and day. Cheap fix I would look into it...it's not the HP of your motor it's the prop.

My boat is 21 ft main power is 250 Pro XS it weighs around 4K fully loaded. I have a AP Terrova up front and I don't use it all that much except when when it's fire drill or when I don't want to or can't drive due to setting lines, fighting fish etc or when I want to go ultra slow.

Is that Honda you're running a high thrust model?The high thrust models make a significant difference over regular kicker motors.They not only run a bigger prop to push heavier loads,but the gear ratio is different as well.

I ran Yamaha kickers on my last two boats,a 9.9 high thrust on my 22' Trophy,and the T8 high thrust on my current 23' Seacraft.I never had any problems at all maintaining speed on windy days with either setup.In fact,I think the T8 actually pushes the 23 footer better then the 9.9 pushed the Trophy.I'm at around 5500 pounds with the seacraft loaded and the 8 pushes it easily.

I will say that the trophy was a PIA in the wind though,if you had to let go of the wheel to net a fish.The minute you'd take your hands off it,the boat would spin around in circles.

On the Seacraft,I can let go of the wheel,and easily net a fish,or walk away for a bit,and the boat remains on course very well.

The difference between the hulls is the reason.The seacraft hull is a very deep V,(24 degree deadrise) while the Trophy was much less.The deeper v accounts for better tracking when going slow.I also mounted the kicker lower on the Seacraft,so the prop gets a better bite.

I don't think increasing horsepower will help you very much.None of these motors will get your hull up to planing speed,and that's where horsepower comes into play.The twenty horse is not going to make your boat any more responsive to wind.

You might want to try lowering the engine to get the prop deeper into the water.I noticed a big difference in control when I did that.I also ran the Long shaft versions of the Yamaha kickers,which is 20"(it's plenty).