no deer in ny

salmonbound1

Good articles Ray. Just what does the DEC use to compare the kill ratio to for them to say they are accurate within 1.9%? I have been hunting deer for 45 years and the first 5 I hunted Allegany State Park. You did not leave the park with out checking your deer, the park police had every entrance manned. At one time they had a manditory check station on route 16 in Holland. They later made it a volunteer check station because of the traffic issues and the station is only opened the first 2 days of the opener and the first Saturday. Since my departure from state land hunting to farm country and owning my own land I do not believe I've seen 10 Game Wardens at any given time. Another variable in the DEC estimations is a lot of hunters live on farms or have friends in the south towns that hunt their property. The deer goes from the field to the barn. I was a southern tier resident for 7 years and very few deer tags are sent to the DEC.

As far as Coyotees, wolves, cats or any combination I believe they have an impact on wildlife. Maybe not the amount most believe have on the defenseless fawns but on other game animals and farm animals as well. I can only comment and ask why the season on these preditors is during the regular hunting seasons instead of during the spring when they are most vaalnurable? I personally do not think there should be a specified season at all.

In my opinion the reason some believe there are no deer in NY is 1) high hunting pressure, 2) low hunting pressure, (where you have a large areas of woods and farm land with few hunters to move the deer), 3) poor management (to many young deer are harvested) and 4) low food and water supply. The first thing before you lease, purchase or just get permission to hunt is to scout the property and look for deer signs, food sources and find out how many hunters are in the area. Then if you decide to hunt the area put up some trail cameras to see what you have in the area and especially look for doe not just bucks. Scout, scout and scout until you find food sources, does and bedding areas.

Scouting works for us.

My opinions and comments are only based on the areas I have hunted, Cattaraugus, Chatauqua and Allegany counties.

Howie