C-MAPS FOR RAY CHARTPLOTTERS

Boatino

Does anyone have any experience with C-Maps for Raymarine Chartplotters. The unit is a 2000 year, model Raychart 620. I was looking into getting a Great Lakes or Lake Ontario chip. Any recommendations?? I've heard people talk about the Navonics Gold chips, I just don't know if they are compatible. The unit came with the Boston Harbor, Cape Cod chip. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

John

I run a C-Map chart on my Northstar GPS.It is a large chart covering the great lakes and the maritimes.Very good detail.Ill take a look at it when I get home and send you a Pm with the card number.

If you go on http://www.jeppesen.com/personal-soluti ... marine.jsp you can see what charts will fit your unit.

I really like the format shows all the depths,details buoys etc,along with county and country lines.

"I DON'T think you can run Navionics in your unit,as it is a different software program".

All these electronic charts are taken from standard marine paper charts anyway,so they are all pretty much the same as far as the navigation aspect goes.Each company tweaks them a bit and adds some different stuff to them.a lot of it is personal choice.

I had that plotter in the past. I now have a Raymarine 520 plus and It uses the same c-map. The ONLY map it will accept is the c-map nt+. Those units have no base map, so you need the c-map. It will set you back around $180 for each map....I know cause I have had to buy 3 maps so far for different regions.

John & Rod,

I was checking out the c-map nt+ site last night. Should I be looking at a full Great Lakes Chart, Lake Ontario Only chart, or the individual sectors of Lake Ontario? How much more detail do you get the smaller the region you choose?

Thanks,

John

I would get the entire lake John. A friend had a partial and it limited him with coverage, but the map was the same.

What antenna do you have? That unit had a screw in connector for the antenna, but if/ when it goes bad (and it will if it's the original) you will need to get a junction box and hook it up through the seatalk. They no longer make that antenna. The new 125 is better though anyway. If you go through that....pm me. I've gone through it already.

I agree,get the entire lake,as I said mine covers the great lakes and the maritimes.I called Jeppesen,and they went over it all with me,and actually told me the bigger charts contain more detail.I told them that I fish the western end of lake O,and wanted as much detail as possible,and this is the chart they recommended.

They're easy people to deal with over the phone,and are very helpful in explaining which chart will suit you best.I think it was $199.00 for the chart card.

** If your unit is a 620 plus, you can use the large card,(+)which covers Both lake Erie and Ontario,and some other areas**

**If your unit is just a 620 You would need the small NT cards,and you may need a couple to cover the whole lake.**

The NT cards(small) will fit either unit,but you'll need a couple,so if you have the 620 Plus it makes sense to get the large area card as the detail is the same,but you would get the whole of Ontario and Erie with the same detail as the smaller NT cards,and you would only need the one card.It would also save you a few bucks.

Raytheon/Raymarine made a 620 and a 620 Plus. If it's not labeled as such,you can tell when you turn the unit on ,if it says Raymarine on the screen,then it's the 620 plus,and you can use the + large area card.If it says Raytheon then it's the 620 and takes the Nt Card.

Again,either unit will accept the NT card.

This is the way it was explained to me by a friend who worked at Jeppesen,and has a 620 in his boat.