Trolling Motor Feedback

Good Day all......

Looking to purchase a new trolling motor for the Crestliner 18 ft. I have looked at all the buying guides and I am finding conflicting info. So, I thought I would ask for hands on real world experience. Minn Kota Terrova 55 was what I was looking at. 12v system to keep the weight off the boat with the 24v dual batteries.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks, Dave

Thanks! Looks like $100 rebate from Minn Kota as well the next few weeks.

Do you recal the shaft legth you had Splitshot? I have measured 26" from the water level to the top of the bow where the motor will be mounted. Thinking 48" sounds too short. Minn Kota makes a 54"....but do not want too long either.

Dave

There is lots to consider. I have a 18' Alumacraft and went with the a 24 volt minnkota.

My last boat was a 16' with a 12 volt minnkota. This set-up worked well 90% of the time. It was marginal during derbies when the weather really got snotty. This motor was the 54 inch shaft and under whitecap conditions it would occasionally come out of the water and after a few hours the battery fizzled (always had a spare).

Look at the conditions you plan to fish. If you don't find yourself out on rough days and you fish 3/4 days, you should be fine with the 54" 12 volt (still consider the 60").

I primarily fish with jigs and under the conditions listed above and my occasional Niagara River fishing the 54" and 12 volt won't cut the mustard. The 18' I have sits higher then my old boat, so a 60" was a must and I ended up going with the 24 volt system.

You also need to consider cable drive vs. electric. I've only known electric so it works for me + I can control it any where in the boat. The downside is they are slower and you have marginally less control.

The price difference between the 12v and 24 v is considerable as well. It's also discouraging to read all the negative reviews on ALL the trolling motors available (read up on Cabelas and bass Pro reviews)

Good Luck