Okuma Convector 30D Linecounter

I had posted a light bite set up question a few months ago. I got repsonses on lines and rods. Not too much on reels. I have a varierty of rods and reels in my boat now. Okuma's, Penns, Diawas and Cabela and Gander Mtn. branded ones as well. Out of all of my reels, my Okuma Convectors seems extremely well made for the price compared to the others. I have 2 of the 55's one for copper and one for lead core. I was considering going to the 30 DVL for my light bite. It has a better line capacity than most in it's class. It can handle more than my Magda pro 30DXs and more than the Diawa 47LCs. I planned on using 300 yds of 40lb power pro for this set up. Should I also include some sort of backing as well and how much mono do you recommend I account for. I am consider using 15lb mono or flouro carbon. It says it can handle 560 yds of 50 braided line. I just don't want to buy this only to find out it wont have enough capacity for these reels to be set up properly. Especially since I'm buying mail order. Let me know and thanks as always.

I have used many convector and catalina model Okumas for years. I'm not sure what you mean by "lite bite" rig, let me know what app you want to use it for and I will try to help. The 30 size is a good all-around model in both the convector and catalinas. Short leadcores, riggers, and dipsey outfits would all be good uses of the 30 size.

That would be correct. Light bite slide diver or just not using wire. I have a 10'6" set up with wire. This would be a lighter dispey rod and reel. The Convector is a wider reel than my other reels and seems to be able to hold more as well. The drag seems better as well. I was considering going with the Magda pro or even the cabelas version line counter,but the Convector seems better made.

Thanks for the replies guys. I ended up picking up 2 of the Catalinas from Bretts on the bay (eBay). Great service and shipped them out the same day. It was maybe a little more than I wanted to spend originally but for that price, I couldn't pass it up and they should last me forever. I am looking forward to using them this year.