Steering question....

Trolling82

Should I be able to steer the outdrive without the motor running? It currently does not and I thought it is supposed to. Did OMC/Stringer make it unique that it had to be running? I haven't tried running the motor yet but will probably Monday or Tuesday. Not excited about it with having to re-winterize. Cold nights in the forecast... :(

1982 3.8 liter OMC, Stringer outdrive hydraulic assist (not tru course) :(

It has a brand new cable/helm (installed 3/18/10 by yours truly). There are no tight bends in cable. Teleflex Safe-T QC :clap:

Bypassed hydaulic assist and connected steering linkage from cable direct to steering arm (This arm connects to some gearing in the intermediate housing and steering gear to outdrive). This will turn the outdrive however rather hard... I assume the need for power assist.... :yes:

I tried bypassing the outdrive and connecting just to hydraulic assist. After removing and testing cylinder and replacing (cylinder full of air not fluid) it turns real easy. As I continue steering it starts to stiffen up and become hard to steer (as air is replaced by fluid). Steering still possible though very, very hard.

Hook it all up like normal and it is impossible to budge. (Busted steering cable this way...) :@:no:

Removed hydraulic assist cylinder. Ram can be pushed in and out by hand. Doubt anything wrong with it. :)

Removed hydraulic valve assembly. Marina said that there might be something in there that's broke and not letting fluid escape (relief valve). Jacked the bolt up that holds it on and had to cut it off as I could not loosen further or tighten it back up. :@ New valve assembly = $500+. :@ Removed one from my scrap boat without breaking it and will install that Monday to see if there is a difference. :)

Power steering pump??? doubt it. I overfilled power steering pump with fluid. When steering just hydraulic assist (outdrive bypassed) I could squeeze fluid out the overflow on the pump when I reached the limits of steering to either side. Wouldn't that say the valve assembly is working correctly? Fluid is traveling somewhere.... :yes:

Nothing left to work on.... I'm stumped.... There is only the three pieces to the power assist - cylinder, valve assembly, pump. They all seem to be fine. Mechanical steering from linkage to outdrive - fine. Cable/helm - new. Put it all together - not fine. Does anybody have an OMC preferably stringer and know if they can steer with the engine off? Any ideas???? :@

P.S. The girlfriend would appreciate any help. She finds that I tend to be in a poor mood when the boat does not cooperate... :D:devil:

drink a :beer: , sit back, think about it, :clap: and realize its something simple :lol:

I drank a few beers, sat back, thought about it, and realized.....

I can put a rudder on the back! :D:D:D:yes::yes::yes:

I put the steering setup all back together. Maybe I'll start it up this afternoon. Feel free to come up when you get out of work.

Notice how no one posted anything on this topic? :D

Installed a new steering cable and helm...did the cable move freely before you connected the power assist end?

Did you pull the pin that connects the power assist to the outdrive steering arm? Pulling the pin will allow you to see if the drive swings freely. And you can see if the effort is reduced in the helm when turning the wheel.

If the effort is still the same and the drive swings freely...and your cable at the assist connection moves freely when its disconnected from the power assist unit...its a problem with the power assist unit and or linkage. Some unit need to be positioned just right or they will bind.

The have a few beers method works very well, I burned through a case of Yuengling last month working through a problem on the boat.

John

Installed a new steering cable and helm...did the cable move freely before you connected the power assist end?

Did you pull the pin that connects the power assist to the outdrive steering arm? Pulling the pin will allow you to see if the drive swings freely. And you can see if the effort is reduced in the helm when turning the wheel.

If the effort is still the same and the drive swings freely...and your cable at the assist connection moves freely when its disconnected from the power assist unit...its a problem with the power assist unit and or linkage. Some unit need to be positioned just right or they will bind.

The have a few beers method works very well, I burned through a case of Yuengling last month working through a problem on the boat.

John

:yes::yes::yes:

John he has an older OMC Stringer drive that is an entirely different p/s set up than a m/c. Right on with the m/c tho. ;)

82: Get the engine fired up & running so you have pressure in the system. You very well might not have all the problems you think you do. ( with the steering anyway )

:D Wish I could fire it up tonight. Friday's temps aren't looking so great - 35/23. Maybe Saturday morning.

L&M I'm hoping the steering works out. Now I know why these Stringers aren't too popular! Getting to be quite the pro on them though! :D