Any reason to use a lighter weight lead core?

I used 15lb LC line with success last season. I eventually hooked a large fish and it broke me off. I know have a 4 color LC set up I guess you could say. I am adding a another combo spooled with 27lb LC line. Is there any benefits to using a lighter LC line as opposed to the heavier?

As I understand it the lead is the same dia in all cores but the outer coating gets thicker with increased weight strength...99.9% of all test (drop depth) is 27 lb test...the major lead core failure is due to sharp bends at rod tip breaking the lead and it wears from the inside out so you never see the weak spot...so Id advise sticking with the 27lb stuff handle with care and keep the drag soft as their is no strech to absorb hits and headshakes, also i use a 9 ft med action rod that gives a little (lot) of flexin to soften sudden runs and shakes..bad drag is #1 enemy of lead.....or any line as far as that goes....loosen up and enjoy the fight ...

Thanks guys for the replies. I read a few posts where guys were using 15lb and wondered if you got a better action or sway from the lighter line etc. while trolling. If it's reel size I'm not to concerned since it will be going on a reel large enough to handle backing plus 100yds of 27lb LC and the leader.

• 2 weeks later...

18 lb. lead core has the best sink rate. A radius rod tip is a big help( twily tip). A Willis knot is best for attaching backing and/or leader. To tie a willis knot, remove about 8" of lead from lead core, slide leader up into core where lead was removed, and tie two or three overhand knots equally spaced on the core thereby trapping the leader inside the overhand knots. This cushions the leader and prevents breakage. 27 lb. core might be better for kings