gas in oil

Gill-T

Just finished an 1.5 hour hand pump job to get the oil out of the dipstick hole :@ Neighbors probably think I was doing something else :lol: . Anyway, noticed a gas smell in the spent oil. Is this normal for an I/O? I don't see any slicks on top and the oil volume-out was normal.

If you boat is like mine, I keep a spotless bilge and engine, the oil and the slight amount of fuel in it is very easily noticed, my oil has a slight fuel smell, and its normal.

Just make sure the T-stat is maintaining 160-180F and you change the oil regularly.

If you change the oil when warm / hot, you will not notice it as much...

John

Just finished an 1.5 hour hand pump job to get the oil out of the dipstick hole :@ Neighbors probably think I was doing something else :lol: . Anyway, noticed a gas smell in the spent oil. Is this normal for an I/O? I don't see any slicks on top and the oil volume-out was normal.

Gill,....I installed one similar to this>......http://www.amazon.com/Drainzit-Oil-Drai ... B000PDN3HY ..........in my old boat and never went thru that drudgery ever again. The hose just slipped out the transom drain hole and drained all the crud from the bottom of the pan every time. If this type of system will work for you, google "oil pan drain hose". Just find the right size that fits your drain plug and will go thru the transom drain hole.

Dear Gill-T,

Running the engine until hot (about 10 minutes at fast idle with water supply connected to your engine) will drastically reduce your pumping time. Trying to drain cold engine oil or pump it is a terrible time! The smell of gasoline in the oil is not unusual UNLESS you see obvious thinning of the oil. Filling your boat tank in the fall to the top can cause a little fuel to push by the carb needle and seat. Especially if you trailer or move the boat after filling the tank to the top. Check the oil after the engine has warmed up and the dip stick should no longer have the gasoline odor. Be sure you do not have a sticking choke on the carb. This will dump excessive fuel which will get by the piston rings and into the crank case. A lot of the 1980 to 1990 boats are getting tired from the long hours of trolling and storage problems. Keep a sharp eye and nose!

...................... Respectfully submitted,

..........Jet Boat Bill

borderline, good tip!

Also, i run a merc 5-7 EFI and it too has the fuel smell in the oil. It is normal.

As being a technician for diesel equipment, even these have the fuel smell in the engine oil. Remember, that your gas is burning on those il soaked piston walls 8)

....suck..squeeze...bang....blow..