Watkins glen sheriffs.

Here is a story that happened last weekend. I decided to do an evening troll from about 4-dark, upon coming in i saw lots of debris in the water. As i scanned the trash, i saw a capsized canoe. And nobody in sight, mind you the waves were almost 3 foot and counting. The location was just south of the green light in the mouth of the lake by about 100feet. Water temp was 52.5 degrees in that area, i would assume someone might make a swim to shore. But my first instinct was to grab the mic. and yell mayday and get the sheriffs on the water asap. well after yelling it numerous times i grabbed the cell to call 911. I did find that they gentleman made it a shore and were in ok condition. However, the sheriffs have a boat on that end of the lake and they dont have a response on the emergency channel? Why? On sunday, one of the local sheriffs made his round through our marina and we asked him why i could not get a response. His response was. "We have a radio, but its never on, its too much confusion amongst the other dispatchers radio noise. Plus, by the time we would be able to get to the boat and on the water, it would be too late."

How does this bennefit the boaters in the south end of the lake???????? So now we all know, keep it on 68 and yell, someone will be there fast, even if i have to plane my way down the canal.

i would make a call to the coast gaurd aux and tell them your story. if nothing else maybe they can light a fire under the sheriff's seat? That to me seem alittle troubling to say the least. I know the sheriffs ad fire dept are very slow to respond on the water but that does not give them the option to choose who they "protect and serve". Maybe a letter to the editor would also stir the pot?

i pulled a couple of guys out in jan a few years back 2 they had no boat available and asked to come on board to help 2 guys with "0 exp with water rescue expassialy with a over turned sail boat (rigging wires floating roaps)if i followed their instructions i would of got my prop in the roaps (upwind) bottom line we got em off alive ...the sherrif does have a boat lift they could keep their boat in ,during the winter ........hey what do i know of such things anyways their ant no girls in swimsuits that time of year so they dont need to be their .........just kidding im shure they do as their bosses or state directs them too ....thank you all you guys in uniform...............like I say in the winter be on your game out there cause your pretty much on your own...

With the amount of spring drownings the last couple of years we should think of "pushing" for a emergency response system. It would only take a few to commit to monitoring 16 and then a call list of available responders closest to the call. I'm sure some who live on the lakes and have boat houses would be available to help.

The states answer was the lifejacket law to help them find the bodies faster.

This is pathetic.