Question/Help Needed with installation on down speed n temp

I just purchased the new IntelliTroll by Cannon. I am installing the unit today and just realized something while reading the installation manual. It says to run the sending unit cable down the rigger and have the coated cable run through the spring antenna at the end. However, I need to remove my riggers at the end of each trip to put on the boat's cover. Are there any alternatives that you may have tried to make the rigger more portable. Does the cable absolutley have to run through this spring? can I just run it along side? I have even thought maybe to cut the spring down to jus a few raps as to make it more easily removable so I could remove the rigger easier for storage. How about even a quick disconnect plug in the cable itself ( thought this may mess up the signal).....Any experiences with this adjustment in installation??

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! THANKS!!!

~Paul

I used a Scotty antennae I got from Fish307 and a conduit wall clamp. It works better than the spring. I put a ring connector on the short piece of spring wire I left on the end of the cable and soldered and crimped it fast. I'll try to attach a picture.

High Bidder

7bhtr.jpg

Hmmm...this is something I need to do quick. I have multiple things to get done before my trip on Friday...I typically NEVER wait last minute like this, but the boats been in the shop for a month....the guy claims the co. sent him the worng parts for bellows replacement. unreal.....so I told him I was coming there today to work on my boat!

For now I'm just thinking of leaving the whole wire hang somewhere along the gunnel side hidden, but where I can just unplug it wrap it up so I can remove the rigger.....I will have to look into the Scotty antenna later. ThankS!

Natty,

Where might I get a quick connect plug? I was thinking Radio Shack or something like that?? Thanks!

Also, the unit is all mounted and ready to go...I simply left the sending wire loose running down the underside of the gunnel....works out pretty nicely for the time being. I powered up the unit and it worked but I was not sure if the probe was working or not....tried submersing in a jug of water, but nothing?? Does the whole probe and exposed cable wire its attached to need to be completely under water??

Another thing I could not find info about was the common ground wire on top of the probe which is loose and has bare wire at the end....does this need to be attached to something or just flow freely in the water??

I figured I'd ask here since Cannon is closed for the weekend and before I seek tech help from the manufacturer....

Sorry to be a pain guys and thanks in advance for your help!!

I just made a quick disconnect on the power connection to the boat. Since my display mounted back next to the rigger I unplug the display and carry the whole wire assy with the rigger to store it. This way there is no quick disconnect to the antenna. I suppose the quick connect to the antenna would be fine, I just chose not to mess with an already delicate circuit. Power is power, but if you loose signal you'll be wondering is it the connector or the unit or something else?? I could get pictures but sounds like you need ASAP and I don't think I could get them up in the time you need it by.

Spike