Stop Lake Erie Wind Power Project / Call Today

I need you to make a phone call today!

I want to thank everyone for stepping up to become active in this "fight". This is not only a local issue, it is basin wide, state and federal. New York State has jurisdiction over the lands under the lake. It is going to take some strong action to get our message to the County and eventually up to our State legislators. Our efforts need to be first focused on the County. Once we get the resolution we want then we move up the ladder to our state politicians. We are lucky it is an election year the politicians will be willing to listen, if they want our votes.

Wed., June 9th at 11am at the Legislature Chambers - 92 Franklin Street, 4th floor there will be an informational meeting about the proposed off shore wind project, (Great Lakes Offshore Wind, GLOW), which is open to the public. There will be a wind developer presenting Bluewater Winds LLC. They will be explaining the construction of the towers etc. Right now the New York Power Authority will not be presenting but that could change, I am sure they will be in the room. I will be presenting the opposition view.

The only way we can get a resolution from the County is to exert some pressure, letters or emails work great we need to write frequently on this issue. I figure we should target Dan Kozub he is chairman of the Energy and Environment committee and a candidate for Jack Quinn's Assembly seat. Also we should contact Barbara Miller-Williams, Chairperson for the County Legislature.

Here is the plan!

The phone-a-thon for June 8th to (Dan Kozub, 822-0462 and Barbara Miller-Williams, 842-0490).... I would like to get a hundred callers or more on June 8th... so our callers do not get busy signals and our message gets through.... callers with last names beginning with A through F call from 9:00 AM to 10:30AM... last names from G to L 10:30 to noon...M to R call from noon to 1:30PM .. S to Z call from 1:30PM to 3:00 PM Obviously if you can't call during a specified time by all means make a call anywhere from 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM... A call to a legislator will only take about two minutes. The phone-a-thon is the day prior to the informational meeting. It is to emphasize our position and that we have a large contingent of voters who oppose a wind farm in Lake Erie.

The message that we are making is... "that the proposed Great Lakes Offshore Wind project (GLOW) has no benefit for residents of Erie County; it does not reduce CO2 emissions, it is going to be costly for the taxpayers in Erie County, the potential risks for the environment are too great, the impact on migrating birds will be too severe, unsightly towers located in the lake will negatively impact waterfront property values, navigation restrictions will negatively impact recreational boating and fishing and discourage tourism. Wind energy is not green; it is unpredictable and variable; our technological society requires delivery of energy 24/7, wind energy producers can not promise delivery of their product and as a business it is unsustainable without the taxpayer's financial support. WE WANT THE ERIE COUNTY LEGISLATURE TO PASS A RESOLUTION OPPOSING ANY OFFSHORE WIND PROJECT IN LAKE ERIE."

Call Dan Kozub and Barbara Miller-Williams June 8th!

Dan Kozub, 822-0462 Erie County Legislator and Chairman of the Energy and Environment Committee.

Barbara Miller-Williams, 842-0490... Erie County Legislator and Chairperson of the Legislature

Thank you,

Thomas Marks

NY Director

Great Lakes Sport Fishing Council

716-997-6919

This is what I wrote to my representatives. Just ask them how many calls they want to take if something goes wrong with our drinking water.

Dear representative Walter:

I would like to express my opposition to Offshore windfarms for two main reasons.

First, a construction project of that size is a threat to our drinking water supply. Ship after ship pouring cement in Lake Eire lends itself to great risk to the fresh water supply that serves most of Erie County. Let's ask ourselves what are the unforseen concequences of an accident on the water?

Second, The economics of off shore wind are impractical. Why should we build an electricity generator that will cost at least 30 cents per KWH to produce on water when It can be done on land for half the price? Our own electric bills will suffer.

You have my support Tom. I was talking to Bob Cinelli today, and he asked that I pair you up with Sam Zucco, who is heading up the Rochester area opposition. Call or PM me and I can get you his information.

At the Oak Orchard Pro Am captains meeting I will have a petition from the group in Rochester that is opposing the GLOW project. I will try to get it somewhere centralized, and I will also get it announced during the meeting.