I heard that there are variety kind of size for downrigger, planer board rod, and dipsey rod.

So which size is better suit for fighting salmon?

I might choose this size,

Downrigger rod and Planer rod will be 8'6

dipsey rod will be 10'6 or 9'6

But what's your option about it? pro and cons about it..

I love my 7' fish doctor rods!!!!1 The 7' dipsie rods make short work of the kings on the wire. The rigger rods load up nice and are fun to fight the fish with.

Dave such a little rod for a big man :lol: ,Suppose you drive one of those 60 ft speedboats with 3 engins too!

And how do ya manage to unravel the line from around tip ,stand the rod on end and reach down to unravel..

The 7 ftr is a good length I used them for years cept I needed a 4 ft step stool to reach the tip (little hight callanged for me)...

I got a great deal on some 8ft 6 rods i use now , With longer rods the fish get a tad more advantage but their nice looking and the only thing on my boat that matches..

And you can get a longer hookset when you snug em down in the reaseases.

Their ant nuttin set in stone for pole to fish setup its more of a personal preference (within reason)..IE: each derby Musky tries to sneak his Barbie poles with bobbers so check you crews carry on luggage..

I like 6'6" and 7' ugly stiks in ML,M,MH, and H, for riggers,core, and copper. I like the 7' Talora med rigger rod (fast action) w/ a Twili-Tip for wire divers. If I'm running 4 riggers I use 10' Eagle Claw Diver rods for the divers.

Only time I really like to use anything over 7' are my flat line/planer rigs, which are 8'6" Eagle Claw Starfire L rods (rated for 6-10lb). I do also use these for running spoons off the riggers on the FLX in the spring for browns and in the fall for Bows, they are also good for 'eyes'.

I fish mostly w/ Kids and greenhorns and a 7' rod is much easier for either one to handle. On the other hand I do like to use the 'noodle' rods w/ the light line for browns & bows b/c they are very forgiving w/ the occasional lunker on the other end.-Andy