Ruff Rider catches new LOC leader (almost)

Fishing has been great out of Sodus this weekend. A ton of big steelies and small kings. Nothing over 15lbs until today. Our friend at our marina didn't have anyone going out with him today so we told him to hop on with us. We did a few small fish this morning then the 135' rigger pops over 200fow. The wife was too busy reading her book... our friend Andy was too busy yappin on the cell... so sure I'll get it :rofl: I reeled down and it started screaming! The currents were wicked out there today and I managed to get it tangled in both dipseys and a rigger. Got it off though and then the reel broke and I couldn't reel in anymore. With the fish about 50' beind the boat, I wound hand over hand. Andy slid the net under the fish and it hit the deck... HARD... BIGGGGGGGGG FISH.

We didn't know how big it was so we went to weigh it on the spring scale... it broke the needle on it :clap: So on to the digital scale... 30.02 :inlove:

The following conversation then takes place:

Me: "wow that's the new leader for the LOC!!!"

Andy: "oh you guys are in the LOC?"

Me: "you're not in the lock"

Andy: "No, I didn't realize you were"

Me: "how well can you swim?"

I could've cried. Not too upset, as I'm pretty sure there will be a bigger fish before the end of the LOC, but it would have been nice to be in the lead for a bit lol. The fish fit the cooler almost perfectly... just as long inside of it with the tail curled up a bit and just as wide around as the cooler. Beauty of a fish. I'll have pictures when I get back home Monday.

It was caught on Andy's yellow NBK, so if he HADN'T come I may not have caught it. Besides, even if he had said he didn't have a ticket, we still would have taken him out. But that punch in the gut when you think you've got a shot at the top... ouch :(

A great story though and that's what fishing is all about. Besides, the ammo to make fun of Andy for the rest of his life is almost worth $10k after taxes :yes:

Nick

OMG!

I heard some of that on the radio. That will be hard for him to live down!

Hi ya Nick. You and I met in Wilson earlier this year in May. Was our 1st time there. You had just finished walking the dog and 3 guys( Paul, Bill and Mark) where launching a 23foot red/gray crestliner. You gave us loads of info on the area an I just wanted to say thanks again!

Mark

boatname: Buckshot

Mark, no problem! I try to be helpful whenever possible!

Here are a couple of pics of the fish... maybe Dave Chilson will implement a "shoulda/coulda/woulda award" to show people why the SHOULD get into the derby 8)

DSCN9564.jpg

DSCN9567.jpg

Nick

Pete now that's one of the best posts ever :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nick great fish and we all commend you for a great job of landing that fish with all the tangles and a broken reel. I know it's not the :cash: for winning but your a winner in my book :yes:

Hey it's only $7,500 before taxes anyways what could you have done with that "little" money :thinking::thinking::thinking: maybe buy a few new reels :P

That picture is posted in a convenient place for all to see and hear the story. lol If I do recall there was a large brown that came in at about 15lb 10oz that was not in the LOC either. That picture hasn't been posted as of yet lol. Good job guys and gals.

Troy,

Yes two big fish out of Sodus this weekend that probably would have been in the money. People join the LOC! It's like the in the ground... you can't win if you don't play...

Nick

Whats a one day pass $15.00, we spend that much at a fast food joint gettin a burger or two. Or on a couple cocktails. I guess I better shut up, I went out two days without entering lol. Of course I don't know how to fish so no big deal.

Already did Monday morning at about 10:30AM 350' out, K's boyfriend fought it all the way to the boat just to get a look at him and let him go lol. I'm guessing 22 maybe 25. Was a nice one. I know I know the big one always gets away lol. I know I can catch 100lb fish on 50 lb line so I surely outa be able to catch 40lb fish on 20lb wire lol (If the knot holds) It is a redneck knot lol