Cayuga 7/2 & 7/5

The day before a holiday weekend is always crazy at the office so we bought some pizza and pop and had a boating picnic Friday night. Didn't get a line wet until 7:30, but from 8 until we quit at 8:45 the rods wouldn't stop firing. I had all I could do to keep 2 fly rigs and 2 downriggers all going between the family reeling in fish. When we quit all lines were on deck with fish. :) The lakers to 8 lbs were taking flies, while salmon, some legal size some too small, and a few small lakers were hitting the riggers set at 40 feet with cheaters....had several doubles. We all had a blast even with the smaller fish as 2 small salmon on a line going opposite ways is a battle for the kids.

Went swimming/tubing Sunday, then did a combo trip last night. Swam and ate dinner afloat until 7 and tried the same routine. I prepped the gang not to expect much with all the boat action the past few days, and the result was true to it. Couldn't mark many fish until the middle of the lake, and nothing but a dink salmon 80 feet down until after 8. We lost a good fish on a fly, then my wife reeled in a 10 pound pig laker on a green spoon 90 feet down. Ready to quit again at 8:45 and when I start reeling in the last downrigger about 15 seconds after release it bends right over. :o A 5 pound laker caught me off guard, (you warned me about that last year Andy), so it was a great way to end a nice evening on the water. The laker slammed a Monkey Puke spoon sliding as a cheater. As you may have guessed, the kids and I can remember a spoon called Monkey Puke, while I have trouble with most of the others. ;) Sorry no pics this time.

Greg

Sounds like a darn good time Greg! I hear you on the names. My kids always want to run spoons w/ names like 'monkey puke', or 'bloody death'. They are very intrigued w/ a new flasher I got from John King called the 'King Leland Puke' ( I gotta admit, it's truly an outrageous name, and I can't wait to use it in a post :lol: ).

Kid's and puke just tend to go together....and in response to Mower and my admitted vague report, our depth gauge and our speed were not working last weekend so we were guessing what we were doing. BIG PROBLEM NOW :( My wife sees no reason for my dropping $$$ on some new electronics when the best fishing we ever had occurred when we were totally blind. All I can say is we fished between Dean's and Sheldrake both nights and never had a downrigger ball get hung up so had to be in 100 + FOW, and based on how the lake drops off we were probably 200 plus most of the time. If we do a tournament at all it will be in the Cayuga LOU provided the weather cooperates.

Greg