Latest results for Port Darlington

I'm heading down to Port Darlington this coming Saturday and will be there for 5 days with three friends. We will be staying at the Marina's Motel and I'm looking forward to meet other members of the forum.

Can anyone provide results for the recent days?

Thanks in advance.

FishBob

Definitely. I should post our results around Thursday of next week. Let's hope the Darlington area is as good as Newcastle. If not as good, we should see a good number of boats heading east from Darlington toward Newcastle.

I took my 12 year old nephew to darlington Sunday morning (July 4). We were on the water from 5:30 am to 9 am. We went 6 for 7. We caught a mid 30, 24, and high teen king, aswell as a small shaker. The other 2 fish were a 8 and 4 lb steelie. All mature kings and 4 lb steelie came on SD and fly combo behind dipseys out 200 over 100fow. others came on riggers down 30 and 70 on spoons.

Saw a few decent hook ups aswell from the other boats.

Jeff

Went 3 for 4 biggest fish was 25lbs. Shouldve went to Oshawa or Bluffer as reports indicated that they were there and they were. Saw people pulling up and gunning it to Oshawa to make up for the slow bite. Hardly marked any bait or hooks.

Good luck.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Ok getting real excited now 4 more days, but a little concerned about the fleas! I am running 30Lbs. Big Game but may have to switch to FF. I just spooled 3 rods and really don't want to strip them.... :( . How long of a run is it to Oshawa from Darlington if the need arises? And if anyone is around next week say hi, Boat name is Knot for Sale.

We are back from Darlington. This has been our best ever trip there. Fishing was great Saturday and Sunday, especially Sunday morning with an impressive number of big catches( 20 to 25 lbs). Also caught a 32.5 lbs Sunday evening. It slowed down considerably on Monday and Tuesday.

Most of the fish were caught in 100 to 130 feet of water at 80 feet deep. Spin doctors and flies on the downriggers were consistent, but we also had solid captures on Lyman lures and RAC spoons, with a few also on Dispies. We also had a number of hits at 50 feet deep, mostly steelheads and browns, and one landlocked salmon.

I'd love to be able to go there more often!

I'm going to Darlington this week-end for the first time, any suggestion on color or combination(sd with fly or cut bait) what to run first thing in the morning, midday and evening.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Greenhorn Pat.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

The most consistent setup was a spin doctor with a fly, with lots of green on both. A lot of bites from 5am to 10am, less between 5pm and 9pm, and occasional between 10am and 5pm.

I also tried other setups with some success just to prove my friends that the color is more important than the lure itself, but definitely spin doctors and flies won the battle.

What were the fleas like? And also how far out were you? I think I am going to try some deeper water and will let all know. I'll be there Monday but may not go out untill the next day ......... After I hit the store for just a few more lures...... ;) . Also does anyone know what the fuel cost are at the marina?

Hi!

My wife and I fished our little heart out this week-end at Port Darlington, all we manage to catch was a sun burn!!!! We tried everything, as a matter of a fact the only thing I did not tie to my line was the spare spark plug for the outboard lol. How did you guys do? let me know maybe im doing something wrong.

Greenhorn Pat

Same here patrick, just got back from a morning of nothingness............ ;( . Not giving up though, we're going out again at 5:00, will let you all know what happens!!!!! I am having a hard time keeping the baot at 3mph it wants to run around 2 at idle and touch it scoots right up to 4 ... :devil::devil::devil::devil:

Problem is that some of the out of province people do not abide by the regulations and there are freezers full of rainbows.....remember you can only have 2 in your posession now which includes the freezer. Not 2 per morning outing, another 2 in the afternoon, and then 2 more in the evening.......each day, every day.

Been fishing hard for 4 days now and the tally is, one king 25lbs, one coho 3lbs, one brown 6lbs, not great fishing but nice to be out again after a ten year break........ :clap: . oh and I know this is the wrong section but have not seen one C.O.. So not sure about bumcracks statement but who would really know!!!!

hey waterdawg

try in 150 fow was there yesterday had a ball steel were suspending at 35 to 40 feet caught some nice king in same deph at arround 85 feet i caught them with a new sort of michael jackson i found , flys didnt catch one fish tried kirinkle mirage and nada my speed was 2.3 2.4 at the ball and the good temp was 49.5

overall manage a douzand steel 4 to 12 pds one little coho 2 kings 16and 21 pds

ps: waterdawg i wouldnt pay to much attention to hairy comment look at his name lol

BTW i dont have a name on the boat if im not with my bro on his 26foot baha im with my 20 foot hudson il be there again monday for 2 to 3 days

thefrenchman,

I reside in Bowmanville and have fished these waters well before many out of towners knew of the area in the 80's. If you want my real name, pm me and I will provide it to you because I have nothing to hide.

I also remember how some out of province anglers were charged out of Wellington many many years ago for the same fraudulent topic I mentioned because some of the local anglers tipped off the CO's there and guess what, they no longer fish out of Wellington and now have moved further west to Port Darlington. I can also tell you that the steelhead fishery here was second to none from the Ganny to Oshawa Creek in the 80's and 90's as well and now the fishery is dismal because everyone fishes the Blue Zone. I've been fishing the tribs since the late 70's so I have witnessed the crash that overharvesting has caused for the rainbow fishery.

I am also a volunteer for the local fishery and help out with the chinook egg collection in the Credit as well as helping out at the hatchery - all strictly volunteer work. I also help with the patrol of the local tribs for poaching and other infractions as I have the local CO's cell number on speed dial as well. So if you think my screen name makes me less of a concerned angler, you certainly have the wrong impression. What I pointed out was fact - you can only have 2 rainbow in your possession at any time which includes what you have in your boat plus what you have in the freezer. Some, not all as I do not paint everyone with the same brush, anglers from Quebec are in violation. I know of some excellent anglers and sportsmen from Quebec who LOVE to fish....they just love it!!!! As long as nobody abuses the regulations, I have no issues.

Fishing has certainly slowed down lately and I will be out on Sunday since tomorrow I am at home looking after the young one.......good luck to all.

Again this is probably the wrong forum to post this but unfortunately I don't think it's where you are from that dictates whether or not you follow the rules! I truly believe if there was more CO's out there the rules would be followed, as of now you really don't have to worry about getting caught because there are very few checks. In my area (Kingston) there are only 2 officers for a very large area and that is not enough! I was fishing out of Wellington for years and do not recall seeing the influx of Quebec plates I see now at Darlington, but I'm sure the community benefits from the influx of money they bring in and that is what this fishery is all about, is it not? As for the Quebec thing not sure if your right or wrong I just wish they would speak English so I would know what they are using........... :lol: . Now back to the fishing report!!! Fished for 4 days straight and caught 5 fish and only one in the 25 lbs range but it has been fun, and girl friend caught the big one so she's happy and thats what counts!! She also caught a steelhead that put on an awesome aerial show.