Depth Raider speed and temp sensor

They both seem to get good reviews. I also have the D.R. and it is easy to read, even when I'm at the back of the boat. The D.R. display also takes up less space. So, I'd say it depends on how much room you have to mount the display and whether you prefer digital or analog display. As for performance, both are good.

They both work equally well (which is to say, great!!) and basically use the exact same technology, so it boils down to personal preference if you want a digital or analog display. I have a DR myself and couldn;t be happier with it, even with the small physical size of the display the numbers are huge and speed and temp are easily read from the the back of the boat. I've fished on several boats running the subtroll and they work just as well, I just prefer the digital display.

Inevitibly someone will climb on here and make some nonsensical disparaging comments about the coated cable that both units use to send the signal back up from the probe and how awful it is. Let me tell you right now, that's a load of crap. The coated cable is absolutely no big deal. I'm on my 5th or 6th season with the same cable that came with my DR. I'd personally rather have the coated cable than drill more holes below the waterline to mount another transducer that you need for the other unit that those who pi$$ and moan about the coated cable will be shilling. That other unit is also significantly more expensive.

I had my probe rigger down 160' a couple weeks ago and never lost signal.

You'll be happy with either the DR or the Subtroll. One thing on the subtroll, Moor Electronics is located here in Buffalo, NY so they are a local company if that means anything to you.

Tim

Yes, the quality is great and thier support is fantastic! Got to keep the coated intact or it will lose depth. You can wrap a paper towel or rag around the spring and get increased depth by soaking it with water. I had a problem with mine when installed. Called Kell Labs and they over-nighted another unit withot cost and told me to raplase the parts 1 by 1 and send the rest back when I found the culprit. I still have the parts sitting here. In the end, the antenna had come apart at the disconnect. Shame on me. My mechjanic had installed it with the rigger stowed aft and didn't leave slack for swinging the rigger out. It came undone when I swung the rigger out.