probe problem/ solution

last friday i went fishin at seneca lake...after trolling for a hr my probe stopped sending temp and speed....i run my probe without any lures attached...after going through and checking all the wires....i decided to check the battery in the probe...as i brought up the probe i noticed 60 ft of cable was covered with fleas...after i cleaned the cable off with fleas i sent it back down and my speed and temp returned....

im just giving up you guys a heads up about this...plus has anyone ever encountered this.

Thanks for that tip. I haven't noticed ANY flea on my coated cable, but when the signal does start to play games with the display units we cover the antenna with a wet paper towel and the signal is strong again. A little tip from Penn Yan 88 last year. We had to do it this weekend as a matter of fact.

wehad to do the same thing. i assume you are talking about the depth raider? we have a rag on the bout just for that. when we talked to the manufacture they had never heard of it, but it seems like a common issue.

same problem/fix with the Moor Sub-Troll as well

We have never had a huge build up of fleas on our cables. Not saying that once in a while we have maybe 1/2" or so of them when we bring it up

all you guys should take note of gps to down speeds and at different directions unless the lake is really swirling after a good blow you can stay i the ballpark with your notes if you loose battery(no spare) ,single for what everreason or worse case the whole probe :o

What is the affect of the wet rag? Is it increasing the conductivity of the signal as it is passing through the spring?

yes. when we lose signal we put a wet rag over the spring and the cable. we get signal untill the rag dries out and repeat. i have tried everything thinking i did somthing wrong during installation, i think i even changed the cable but nothing fixed it. we just bought the new fish hawk. i hope it works better.

What is the affect of the wet rag? Is it increasing the conductivity of the signal as it is passing through the spring?

yes. when we lose signal we put a wet rag over the spring and the cable. we get signal untill the rag dries out and repeat. i have tried everything thinking i did somthing wrong during installation, i think i even changed the cable but nothing fixed it. we just bought the new fish hawk. i hope it works better.