engine overheating

earltwitty

Hey guys,

My Yamaha 25 hp was overheating the other day on Honeoye. Anybody know of a quick reliable mechanic with fast turnover on the eastside of Rochester? I replaced the fuel filter and connector from the hose to the engine that was cracked last year and now I think it's the impeller. I'm still getting water coming out to cool the engine when it when it's running.

Just a thought on this... I own a 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke it needed a impeller change when I got it. I changed the impeller to find some rubber fins missing. I thought to myself wow I wonder where all the broken pieces go? I got it all back together to find out it pee's water better but still gets hot. I removed the thermostat and checked it's operation in a pot of water on the stove with a themometer it opened as advertised at 150 degrees. I ended up blowing compressed air into the thermostat housing down thru the head and...KAPOW!! out comes all the old rubber damaged impeller fins. It now pee's water like a fire truck. So lesson learned those "missing" fins could overheat your motor if not back flushed out of the system.

TD

• 2 weeks later...

Thankstriple deuce 50. Just writing to say I had the boat out twice since the impeller was replaced and seems to work just fine. Pees good as you would say ! About 1.5 hours labor and impeller kit. 235 bucks Ouch!! Macmillan marine, pretty close to home. I hope they thought about the missing fins.