Cayuga 8-22

I was a little damp and bumpy to say the least. We were on the water around 6 a.m. and started trolling just south of AES. We trolled north to Sheldrake and back south past meyers and almost to the south end. We has a south wind to start and it turned north by the end of the day moving the warm water all over the place. We put 6 or 7 in the boat and lost quite a few more. I tied some leaders with smaller hooks and went too small. we lost a couple really nice fish because we weren't hooking them well. Our largest for the day was 7lb7oz laker. We could have done better but we chose to stay under cover instead of thowing different combos down. Mountain Dew spinny with proctologist did most the work and we tried out some of the 6" spinnys and did well on salmon with them. The end of the day the waves were stacking up pretty good so we called it a day. After we got the boat pulled out and were tearing down for the day we saw a guy with two kids launching a 12ft old aluminum boat that was hardly wider than a canoe. I went over to advise them that it was pretty rough out there (some 4ft waves) right when the two kids (around 15) were about to head out. After i said something to the dad he told the kids that "it was too rough for thier first time" :o :o :o and decided to pull the boat out. They couldn't keep the motor running and they had no life jackets on board :o . The whole drive home i was thinking about it and i can't imagine them actually making it past the light house. The waves were breaking and as narrow as that boat was i'm sure it would be hard to keep upright. Its scary to think that people would even consider going out on a day like that with that boat.

The waves sure were stacking up. The guys I tried taken out did not much like a white cap let alone those waves. Glad you guys said something to those kids. Probably saved there lives.

I got to hand it to you and your dad for fishing in this weather. Not an easy day on the lake. Hope all the guys who fished the Scotty made it back ok.

That was a wet ride. I had water inside my boots up to my ankles. Good thing you talked those people out of going out. I wish that they would make the safe boating coarse mandarory. They don't teach common sense though . 4 foot waves and 1 foot freeboard = another search and rescue. Had a great time today lil troller.

Its a good coarse to take! Mandatory if you want to drive a jet ski. I took mine a couple of years ago with the wife. Father in law would not let me take her out on the boat unless I took the coarse. :)

Hope this next weekend has some better weather.

it was a great day out there, not many fish but thats ok. The old man (qualitly time) and i have been fishing in all sorts of crappy weather, but it beats work anyday. At one point we crossed from sheldrake to the east side and lost site of land for about 15 minutes it was raining so hard. I think its safe to say we are both happy with his trophy, and we haven't backed out due to weather yet. We were quite pruned by the end of the day, but we will be out again ready to go.