New Prop needed

High Bidder

I bent my prop last week and have to purchase a new one. I was running a 14.5 x 19P SS which gives me 4000 RPMs at WOT. The aluminum 14.5 x 19 only gives me 3900 RPMS at WOT. Should I drop to a 17P prop? Would it give me the same top speed and a little slower trolling speed? My maximum WOT is rated at 4400 RPMs with the 5.0 engine. Or should I stick with the 19P and keep my WOT rpms a little lower?

High Bidder

High Bidder,

A very knowledgeable coworker was the prop builder for Spinnelli Bros. and he walked me thru my prop buy. Every 2 inches of pitch should drop you about 200 rpms. hope this info helps alittle.

Steve

almost thought it was 200 rpm per inch ....i would drop to a 17 less torque on drive system,pefromance will be hudge if your running heavy ,,so you should gain 400 rpms and speed will be the same as 19 in overall at max rpms but less on the rpm scale your used to and go with alum youll get some flexing and loss of performance but only noticable if your running laps on a timed course..and ya might save your drive system some major shock if ya hit a object with alum (they break) and hopefully not yer gearsystem.

Your wide open throttle rpm should be closer to 4400. Lower rpm at WOT means that your engine is working too hard and cannot get up to the ideal rpm for WOT. The 17 pitch may be a good choice but you can also drop down to a 14 inch with 17 or 19 pitch this will give you less of a hole shot but it will get your rpm up to where it should be.

Here is a website that will give you a lot of info about props.When you open it it seems like just advertisement but when you scroll down you will find a sea of information.

http://www.propline.com/Propeller-Gener ... _Wheel.pdf

Thanks for the info. I am trying to educate myself on this subject. One possibility is to take my slightly bent prop to a repair shop and see if they can repair and change the pitch. The ideal pitch would be a 18P which would give me close to max RPMS when trimmed out. The problem with finding the best prop is that it gets expensive to buy and try.

High Bidder

Thanks for the info. I am trying to educate myself on this subject. One possibility is to take my slightly bent prop to a repair shop and see if they can repair and change the pitch. The ideal pitch would be a 18P which would give me close to max RPMS when trimmed out. The problem with finding the best prop is that it gets expensive to buy and try.

High Bidder

You do not have to buy and try.Look at this:

http://www.propmd.com/t-propellerexchange.aspx

This is only one company that does this,there are many more.Many marinas with service stores will let you try different used propellers until you find what you need.Courtesy obliges you to buy from them as well,even though they are usually a bit more expensive.