labor day Cayuga

OldTex

My son and I launched at Treman and motored right up to Crowbar...From there north......... bait pods and fish from 75 to 90 feet down stayed continuously across the screen........We caught and released at least 15 lakers over 8 lbs....My 15 year old grandson had one on for about 15 minutes and kept telling me it was hooked into a log or floating branch.........I set the hook myself before handing him the rod......so knew better........finally my son took the rod and tightened the drag hoping to bring it in.............He started him coming but the line ( 14 lb. ) florocarbon broke and we supposedly lost him......About 75 ft. back that fish was flopping around on top so I circled back and my son netted it...........It had the sutton 72 in its lip and a big lamphery hooked on the side.....It was a huge female full of spawn and rather than bring it in the boat.........my son messed with it for several minutes before she finally took off straight down....Every fish we caught was a fat female and we were wondering if they were schooling up to spawn.....We were gonna ask Zeke and Cyn when we got back up here at the park........but they were already gone.....I have fished lake trout for 45 years and never had a day like this.......It was insane......big fish and big numbers.....8 am till 1pm.....so it wasn't prime fishing time.....Any thoughts about trout schooling like the kings do before spawning ;););)

The lakers,browns, and LLs are all heading into pre spawn mode.Large numbers of Lakers will concentrate around T-Falls. They will get off & on and finickier as the spawn approaches. As they move into the spawn there will be times when they are very reluctant to strike. Oct/Nov can be tough fishing for LLs, Browns, and Lakers but they will still have 'active' days when there will be good action. In Oct I usually see the most 'foul' hookups of the whole year b/c the fish are swiping in irritation at some offerings.