Saturday...

After some discussion of temps possibly setting up deep, we ran deep.... then ran some more... then some more. Temps went from about 60 to 54 at the 23bar, then down to 48 with thick fog at the 25bar. The fog continued out to about the 32bar. We finally got back up to 55degrees at 35 bar and began fishing. We fished all the way to the canadian border and then all the way back into 100fow. A BIG OLD WASTE OF GAS. I tried to get ahold of fishstix and everyone else wondering how the fishing was out there, but we had zero radio reception out there and no cell phone signal (kinda a scary situation, but the lake was absolutely flat and we have two motors). We did manage 5 steelies and one small king out deep though. Nothing with much size. We never marked a thing until 350fow where we marked bait, then again at 300fow and finally at 250fow we marked a fish, which hit (one of the steelies). Then finally at 110fow a dipsey started screaming out 250 #2 setting green protroll green fly. Landed an 18lb king. Drove alllll the way out deep, only to hit a king back in 110fow... It was devastating to say the least. We ended the day and headed back in.

Sunday....

Decided to go for browns after hearing fishshack's great saturday. Have I mentioned how much I hate fishing for browns? We don't have any light rods, so it's not nearly as much fun as pulling in a salmon. I'm also not very good at brown fishing, so take this report with a grain of salt. We ran west towards pultneyville and trolled east. It was too rough for us to troll west (we don't like pounding against the waves, just not fun). We managed a nice 8lb brown down 40 on a emerald shiner (thanks for the tip fishshack) stinger size. We then landed 4 or 5 more kings all under 5lbs. Most of them we didn't even know were on the lines until we pulled them to check. Not a great morning.

I may take next weekend off to work on finishing my basement. But the kings were there on Sunday as well... lots of big marks in the 160-180fow range... just couldn't get them to go.

Nick

Nick,

Did you get my phone messdage? It sounds like the numbers I gave, but not sure. Glad to hear you took a shark, at least it was not a big fat 0 for the day. Keep in touch, it won't be long and we will be out there in your neck of the woods.

Rich

Rich,

Yeah I got it, sorry I completely forgot to call you back. I tried calling you multiple times from out deep, but had absolutely no signal, then just totally forgot to call.

The question for Sodus will be... brown trout or steelhead? I don't think you'll do it on kings alone.

Nick

Hey Nick- That's a nice king you guys got!!!! Were the big marks you saw in 160-180 on bottom or up high? We marked a few big hooks out deeper but they were right on bottom. I figured they were lakers. The guys that got kings out of Oswego caught them up pretty high (50-75 down).

I think this weekend we're going to spend more time chasing kings.

P.S.- Next time you should get a Canadian license and keep on going. :lol:

Man I looked at a map when I got back, we weren't even half way across! It REALLY makes you realize how big Lake O is when you're out that deep.

The marks we saw were all over the place. We were marking pretty steady marks at 50fow over 160fow. At 180fow we marked a bunch of fish at the 100' point. They could have been lakers, but they would have been BIG lakers. My guess was kings.... but like the browns they didn't seem to be ready to feed either. One of the guys fishing a few miles west of us did manage one nice king out there Sunday 50' down over 120fow.

It's still slow, but I think 4th of july weekend is usually the date for the kings to start banging and I think this year will show the same.

Al, that steelie you guys got on the board was real pretty... looked almost like a domestic rainbow.

Nick

I think it's a skamania. They are supposed to be longer and thinner. They also have a clipped left fin and clipped adipose. I wouldn't know the difference but Ryan read it somewhere and mentioned it when we got it in the boat.

The guy weighing it also said it was one. He said they only see a few each year.