Copper Capacity

Any idea how much 45# copper I can get on an Okuma 45DX? Also, If I run a small dipsey on the copper, would I just add the projected depth the Dipsey at x feet to the depth the copper is running to get total depth? Not sure that's the right way.

Thanks!

An Okuma 55 will hold 450' copper w/ 300yds powerpro backing, so I would guess you might get 300' + backing on the 45? Remember the line guide is relatively small on those Okuma reels and you will have problems getting the backing to copper and copper to leader junctions in and out unless you modify (open up) the line guide. To be perfectly honest w/ you I have not had good luck w/ these reels. I bought a bunch of them 3 years ago for core,copper, rigger, and diver rods because they were relatively inexpensive & had a lot of line capacity and I liked the handle, but several have failed and I've had some problems w/ the drags too. I've got all my copper on Penn reels now and I'm much happier w/ them.

Copper is used as a stealth presentation, for running baits well back of the rest of your spread with no delivery device (i.e. rigger weight or diver) directly in front of the bait to tip off fussy or inactive fish. A wireline or super braid dipsy diver is an aggressive presentation designed to catch the attention of active fish. Super braid and stainless wire is very thin which, in conjunction with a diver, enables the angler to reach great depths. Copper is very fat and very heavy and requires a large heavy reel (and lots of reeling) to use.

If you want to extend the depth range you can reach w/ shorter copper or lead core setups look at the torpedo weights http://www.torpedodivers.com/

Copper is used as a stealth presentation, for running baits well back of the rest of your spread with no delivery device (i.e. rigger weight or diver) directly in front of the bait to tip off fussy or inactive fish. A wireline or super braid dipsy diver is an aggressive presentation designed to catch the attention of active fish. Super braid and stainless wire is very thin which, in conjunction with a diver, enables the angler to reach great depths. Copper is very fat and very heavy and requires a large heavy reel (and lots of reeling) to use.

If you want to extend the depth range you can reach w/ shorter copper or lead core setups look at the torpedo weights http://www.torpedodivers.com/

Really my only intention was to set the D/D on 3 to get it off to the side for line seperation and a little more depth without running 500-600 feet of copper to get down to 100' or so. Having marked a lot of fish down 90-100' at Seneca last week and having only 300' of copper brought up this issue. I do have riggers, but my dipsey rigs have been outperforming them all year.

I think the thick, water resistant copper line would have the opposite effect of what you'd like to achieve. SS Wire gets deep because of it's small diameter and low water resistance (along with the no stretch factor).

I have no direct evidence to back this up, but I think in a diver presentation, the drag and water resistance of the thick copper line would more than offset any depth producing capacity of the heavy copper. dragging that line through the water sideways attached to a diver is a lot different than letting it flatline directly behind the boat (or board).

YMMV

Tim

Really my only intention was to set the D/D on 3 to get it off to the side for line seperation and a little more depth without running 500-600 feet of copper to get down to 100' or so. Having marked a lot of fish down 90-100' at Seneca last week and having only 300' of copper brought up this issue. I do have riggers, but my dipsey rigs have been outperforming them all year.

Two thoughts/questions for you;

1. If the dipsy diver is a hot rod why do you want to pull it and put a copper in it's place?

2. If the diver is hot & rigger is not then shorten the lead behind the rigger weight to 7' & run the same bait you got on the diver.

3. You will have far fewer tangles w/ copper/diver lines if you run the copper w/ a torpedo out on a planer board tow line & get it away from the boat that way. Copper & wire lines close together are an 'accident waiting to happen'.

I don't believe you want to run a Dipsy on the COPPER ......You want to run Divers on wire line 20-30#

here is some info on copper

http://www.optitackle.com/copperssline.shtml

Mark,

I wonder why that is. It seems like there shouldn't be a difference between wire and copper other than the depth achieved.

do you have a wire diver set up ?????

Mark,

I don't have wire rods and didn't have the copper ones at Seneca last week. I was hoping to hit the 90-100' depths with copper and a dipsey without going to wire. I might need go to wire anyway for Ontario next year. The downriggers didn't pay off last time regardless of set back. I wasn't running sliders, which I will tomorrow.

400 ft of copper will put down 88 ft. 450 will put you down 95 running at 2.2 which is good speed for seneca.......i guess my question is how will you put a dypsy and why if the copper will reach the depths you need.....

if you want to catch fish in seneca off riggers put on a green and or chartreuse spin dr with a green fly from big weenie and you will catch a bunch of lakers and or landlocks.....

Mark,

I don't have wire rods and didn't have the copper ones at Seneca last week. I was hoping to hit the 90-100' depths with copper and a dipsey without going to wire. I might need go to wire anyway for Ontario next year. The downriggers didn't pay off last time regardless of set back. I wasn't running sliders, which I will tomorrow.

IMHO you would be better off running a SWR off the rigger. Allows for the stealth, the added depth, and the variability on turns that the long line presentations also give you.

jj