Sampson State Park white deer...

yea my neighbors gave me the 'lecture' when we moved in about the whites in the area. the locals are very protective of them - even consider them sorta like pets. I guess that I am that way too now, because its so cool to watch them hanging around. when one gets hit and killed by accident it doesn't lay around for more than a couple of minutes before its gotten rid of, unlike the regular ones who lay around for weeks. on a side note who the heck cannot see a white deer in the middle of the road and slow down in time - the speed limit is only 30mph in my neighborhood! :no::@

as for the white deer in horseheads, it's generally considered "taboo" to shoot one. i disagree, because to my way of thinking if you shoot only the brown deer, well, soon there will be only white deer, and they will spread to surrounding areas- which they are doing.

i've seen them on ocasion while hunting, but never had a shot at one. it is kind of sureal to see them slinking through the morning fog. i've seen them pretty close up in peoples back yards in the area, they are a different looking critter, rather goat-like.

that might be because the whiteness acentuates the deer's normal shape in an odd way.

a woman i worked with's son drew a permit to hunt the depot, and he got a respectable buck.

I will be hunting the depot this Saturday with my neighbor. It is going to be interesting.

Different deer species cannot create viable offspring. A russian deer species could not breed with whitetails. It is as Chowder says... the recessive gene buried in the DNA of all whitetails is being accentuated because they are being unnaturally protected by a fence and locals. We see in WNY white deer along the I-90 because they stay safe in suburban back yards. The reason you see so many black squirrels in the city is natural selection is gone. The normal gray hair on a gray squirrel camoflages itself on the predominant gray maple bark (most common tree in NY) and therefore is less likely to be seen and eaten by hawks. Since hawks are not really present in Cities, the black fur gene can be expressed without predators weeding them out. White deer are an easy mark (except in winter) for coyotes and hunters. Protecting white deer will actually hurt the herd so Brian kill some white deer tommorow!!!!! Ok, my Cliff Claven moment is over now.