Ice Fishing Ontario's bays for trout

fishman31

In a recent conversation i heard of the possibility of jigging trout in one or more of lake ontario's bays. IS this true and is it something of a regular possability? I would love o hear more about this. One of the bays or ares in particular is Ollicot. (I hope I have the spelling correct) Also how is the jigging for panfish and other species in that area as well? I look forward to learning more on this.

You can do well in the back bays for pan fish and trout. I have had great success with jigging trout through the ice in Wilson harbor. Perch there are a bit small but there is always a chance for big pike as well.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Wilson harbor sounds great. It appears to be a smaller area. That is nice for a new visitor. When fishing trout (with out giving your secrets, of course), What is the common techniques for jigging them? Fish around the Dock piers, or in the chanel? Spoons or smaller horizontal presentations with soft plastics? Just curious I want to learn more on fishing LO harbor, although I probably will not get a chance to fish them.

Trout are in the creek channel usually and hit perch jigs often when you are trying for perch. Wax worms are good on Swedish pimple too. Wilson is kind of a smorgasbord of fish. Bluegills and crappie are in the back of the bay.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

• 2 weeks later...

Last year there were quite a few browns and steelhead caught through the ice on Sodus Bay - Small minnows fished just under the ice and larger swedish pimples tipped with minnows on the jigging rods did the trick for us. We also iced a lot of pike, bass and decent perch as well. We c&r'ed the bass and pike, but those perch are mighty tasty!! 8)

• 4 weeks later...