Deer ribs

Had excellent deer ribs 20+ years ago at a rod + gun club. The man has pasted on without sharing his knowledge. Have tried 3 0r 4 times to cook them myself and each time they ended up in the trash. I never waste any fish or game except for thoes ____ ribs.

Anyone have a proven way to cook them? It is safe to say the deer has been taken care of with all considerations to the various ways and deer meat can become tainted.

yea if ya dont wanna waste it cut it out and grind to make jerky,,,,,,,,,,

the ribs,brisket,and neck all fare well in the oven as a roast type cooking a bed of good rocksalt makes a hudge differenct in taste do some research on this style cooking and youll be haooy with the results.

A old polish woman gave me the way she cooked with Good grade rock salt and the meat fell apart and was very moist and tasty. Dont forget to remove the glands if you do th neck

Thanks. Both ways sound interesting. Will try Chowders first. There will be more ribs this year to try the rock salt method, if it came from a polish woman, it will be good! Bias, yes - my last name is Shelinski.

Why wasn't I surprised to see replies from Ray and info from Chowder?

Thank You!

Thanks to L&M, Ray K, and Chowder. Tried Chowder's method. With a few adjustments the ribs will be excellent the next time. Had to leave the cooker for 75 min.[not for beer] and the temp shot to 350 with some negative results. No ribs will go to waste any more.

Also slow cook a 4lb neck roast rubed with porketta rub from an Italian section near Scranton. If you like porketta, you would like this.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Rub the ribs with cajun spice or something similar, slice a few onions lay them on top, place in large baking dish put in 2 or 3 cups of water, about 2 inches, cover with foil and bake for 2-3 hours 325, or until bones begin to pull away from meat, remove from oven, discard onions and liquid, reseason and coat with favorite BBQ sauce, chill in fridge overnight, next day pull out 1 hour before throwing on BBQ, carefully bbq over med heat so they dont burn or fall apart. :*:beer::yes: