Flasher/Fly Advice

Hey guys,

So I just started big lake trolling last summer and have done a little bit of flasher and fly fishing. Although I caught my first few salmon on a flasher and fly run off a dipsy, that bite seemed to slow fairly quickly for me throughout the summer, and I ended up running clean spoons most of the time.

Now since my wife and I don't normally get out at the crack of dawn, I seemed to have more success running a less aggressive spread, with just the clean spoons runn off of leadcores, dipsys and riggers.

When I did run flashers and flies, these were my two setups that I ran:

-8" white, white crinkle/glow back tape ProChip flasher with 4" powder blue fly (seems to be pretty popular around here)

-8" transparent green, white ice/glow back tape Prochip flasher with 4" crinkle green fly

I started fishing those two rig off of dispys and then switched to running them off riggers. Most people have told me that blue, pearl and green flies are all they run and by matching them with a white or green flasher they have had success. Me, being your typical fisherman, want to have reliable options when the norm's don't work.

There are lots of things running through my mind about why I didn't have more success with the flashers/flies but now I'm asking you guys if you could provide me with a few more effective color combinations I can run for kings. I hear that the chartreuse Spin Doctor is a good one to try but perhaps you guys will have more suggestions.

Congrats on getting into a very exciting fishery. I spent some time around your home port this past Spring, as I bought a boat there. Be prepared to run Red, Red, and some more Red, the end of March through early June there. The hardcore anglers there obliterate Cohos there early, and then mix in King and Laker stuff towards mid Summer, about the time you got started. Walk around the docks and you will see productive combos dangling everywhere. The red pertains to the flashers, dodgers, and Spin doctors. The flies vary, but greens are a staple.