The snowbird thing

jsmac51

Does anyone on here do the snowbird thing. My wife and I are retiring in two years and are very interested in wintering in a balmier climate. We are primarily interested in fishing communities as opposed to golf or other traditional "retiree" activities. Gulf coast Fort Myers south into the keys.

My bro & nephew live in Naples & have a place on one of the canals there.We fish the bay & 10,000 islands down to Marco. I love to go down during the winter & fish the inshore waters. Catching all kinds of hard fighters on light tackle. Snook, Reds, Jacks , Ladyfish, Sheepheads, etc. 7' med action spin 20 lb power pro & 20lb flouro leader & white jig 1/8- 1/2 oz tipped w/ shrimp fished fairly fast .My nephew sells real estate down there . My bro owns a cottage on the end of Johnsons Creek.(Saw Green Harbor)

My parents are snowbirds, with their winter home in Fort Myers. If you want a true "fishing community" look in the Pine Island and Matlacha areas, most homes in these areas have water access and they are minutes from prime fishing. The inshore snook, redfish, tarpon, trout, etc. fishing is great, haven't done any off shore stuff. There are also some retirement communities on Estero Bay which is just south of Fort Myers. If you get much further south than Naples/Marco it gets pretty sparse, it's Everglades country. Shoot me a PM if I can help you more. I only have to wait another 15 years or so until I can do it.