ice fishing concern

Deaf Fisherman

Anyone,

When I was reading on DEC rulebook, two things that I was concusing about,

1) They said bass fishing season is closed from something to first of June. I wonder, if it wasn't illegal to fishing for them during ice fishing season? can someone clarify about it?

2) If that was allowed in first place, can I go after musky during ice fishing season? or that is definitely illegal to after them?

I just want to make sure that I am not in any position to do any kind of illegal fishing or harm to fish. since I am pretty newbie to ice fishing.

Bass are not legal while ice fishing except in the Finger Lakes, with the exception of Cayuga where they remain closed. Check the regulations for specific lakes if you have any questions. Musky are not legal either, with no exceptions that I know of.

• 2 weeks later...

hang on...

Statewide regulations are as follows: black bass are open to limit 5 specimens a day from the 3rd saturdy in June to November 30. Bass are otherwise not legal to KEEP from December 1 through the Friday prior to the 3rd Saturday in June - yet you can still target them using artificial baits. Finger lakes except for Cayuga, Otisco, Owasco, Skaneateles are open to a day's limit of 5 fish, from 3rd sat in June to March 15 (those exempted are subject to state rules).

However, species NOT in season may NOT be targeted in any manner. If caught by chance, an out of season species must be released asap.

Musky are not legal either, with no exceptions that I know of.

Tiger musky are legal on certain lakes. Conesus is a great lake to target them along with bass (legal to ice fish bass on Conesus). Another great lake that produces lots of bass thru the ice is Honeoye (also legal). Can really have fun running for tip-ups when they are biting here.