WD-40 scent on line

Some guys have said that WD-40 “hurts†fishing line, so I decided to play myth-buster. I took two lengths of line off an unused spool; tied each end to an “s†hook with Palomar knots; suspended them from a board; attached a 10# weight to them; sprayed one with WD-40 and let hang undisturbed down in the basement for a week.

WDPLINE15.jpg

The line was 15# PLine CXX. Unsprayed line was initially 30 ½†knot to knot. Sprayed line was 31 ¾â€.

The weight stretched the unsprayed line immediately to 33 ½â€. The sprayed line immediately stretched to 35â€. Both lines were measured every night. No further stretch was observed.

Neither line broke after 7 days. Weights were just removed about an hour ago. The unsprayed line returned to 30 ¾†and the sprayed one returned to 32 1/8â€. The unsprayed line felt dry and the sprayed one felt “oily.†Both lines were smooth and straight. I couldn’t see any splits, nicks, etc on either line with a magnifier.

I tied an overhand knot in the middle of each line and gave each 3 good tugs, at arm’s length, to tighten the knots. Both made a pretty good “boing†noises on the tugs. Neither line broke.

My conclusion – it didn’t hurt this line.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

BTW: there’s no “fish oil†in WD-40.

Tom, that line is indestructable! Strongest stuff going in my opinion, I use the 15# for pike leaders when ice fishing(going to 25# for trophy waters) The 8# and#10lb CXX can take serious punishment and is very manageable. It would be interesting to know how other lines would hold up, cool test!

Way to go bert , now ya got 42 other brands to test... i lernt um well holy crap 30 years ago from my bro in law in fla.. ,, after every trip on the salt water its soap and scrubbing every thing from the boat to the rods..

then the case of wd 40...W=water D=displacement 40= number of tries before final mixture was "discoverd" ( fun fax) ..any ways we sprayed every rod reel down..

Now with that said again for the new guys WD-40 is not a good lubracant cause it also washes out oil and will dry out bearings or moving parts.. yes it works good at first but any cleaned bearings or pivot points should be oiled or greased for proper care for long term ..

watch the overspray bert got some on my head and all my hair slid down to my ears and back.........

Ernie..

kliph

But why would anyone spray WD 40 on their lines?

Fleas (There’s a way to do it other than just spray a mess)

Ernie

Way to go bert , now ya got 42 other brands to test

Send me some “3F†bulk spools (free, fresh, & full) & I will.

Actually, what I found really interesting was the stretch & the return to length when the load was released. Kind of makes you wonder what stress is put on the reel spool after you’ve reeled in a fish & finally land it.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

BTW – DO NOT use it on auto door hinges!