hunting out of state?

salmonite

how many people do it for whitetails? Especially with a bow. I want to start to learn more, What have your experiences been? Do you lease or do you go with an outfitter? A do it yourself hunt on public or private land. I was thinking ohio for proximity and low cost of license for non residents. Also if anyone is interested in joining my quest or letting me jump on their trip drop me a pm

thank

Some advice from someone who has done that for 20+ years.......

1. Go alone or with only one other person that is your best friend and most trusted confidant. This kind of stuff will ruin friendships faster than anything.

2. The internet has made it easier than ever to hunt on your own. Most good buck states have good public land but you must work at it to find the best spots that no one else has found. I would never pay an outfitter to hunt whitetails unless I had to by law.

3. Be flexible. Playing the weather and timing your trip to coincide with weather fronts is the surest way to be successful.

4. Set a goal for yourself as far as antler quality and stick with it. Don't "settle".

5. Go ALONE!

6. Scout while you hunt and establish friendships with locals. It may take several years but the payoffs are huge.

7. GO ALONE!

Good luck!

Allow me to tell you WHY you should go alone......

--I'm selfish. When I've taken people with me I've felt compelled to "share" my good spots with them. As I get older I have gotten more selfish. I've done the work--I'm gettin' the rewards.

--Going alone allows you to come and go as you please without having to answer to anyone. If you kill a deer early and want to go to another state you go. The MOST effective a new stand will EVER be is the FIRST day you hunt it. Of the last 10 out of state bucks I've killed in the last 5 years I would say 8 of them were killed the first time I hunted a particular stand and 6 of those have been the first 2 hours of the first day of the hunt. Had I gone with someone else I would have had to wait around while they hunted instead of heading to another state to hunt some more.

--No matter how strong you think your friendship is with someone it WILL get strained on a limited time, out of state hunt. If you are in a good spot and your buddy isn't he will either encroach on your area or guilt you into letting him hunt near you. Before you know it he will be in your tree! It might not happen the first year but it WILL happen---especially if you are successful year after year and he isn't.

--As I said earlier you MUST be flexible with your time. WEATHER is the single biggest factor in determining the success of my out of state hunts. I have some of the best spots possible in Kansas, Ohio and Illinois but if its 80 degrees and sunny those spots are gonna be worthless. I time my out of state trips to coincide with incoming fronts. If you time it right, like I did in 2008, you can follow a cold front from west to east killing bucks along the same front as you head home. I killed 5 bucks in 4 states in 14 days in 2008 and 4 of the 5 were killed on the SAME cold front. Had I been hunting with someone else I never would have had the flexibility to do what I did.

There's loads of hunting opportunities in this country for hunters that don't have a lot of money to spend but are willing to work hard and do some research.