1-28-11 Cayuga

Got on the water around 7:00. Started out in front of the park and worked north searching while Red Eyes and Frisco scouted to the south, never really found them in big numbers anywhere but did manage some fish mid way between the boyscout camp and the park over 250' of water. Ended up with four LL's in the 20 to 24" range and 3 LL that were under size. Only 1 laker around 5 pounds. Took all shots deep, 80 to 100 feet off the riggers and 280+ on the wire. Not even a sniff on anything up top. All keeper fish came on SD and fly's. A-tom-ik cooper NBK/Big Fin and L-208 fly's trailing behind white-green dot SD's. The smaller LL's hit honey bee cheater spoons just like they did all last season. Late morning the wind picked up and we thought maybe the bite would follow suit but that nice little breeze quickly turned into a hard NE blow and we pulled lines for the day. I should add that if the wind is coming from the north or the north east it makes for a white knuckle ride in under the bridge. There's a 10 to 12 foot wide shoot to hit with steel on one side and 6" of water on the other. Water is skinny so you will be trimmed way up. Looking back I would drop my canopy and curtains next time to limit the winds effect.

You know the old saying...................never leave fish to find fish, well that's what we did and got outfished by Lil Jake and didn't find fish. Has anyone fished the flats outside Tremain this winter. The only thing we didn't try was the 30' to 40' water up on the flats!

You know the old saying...................never leave fish to find fish, well that's what we did and got outfished by Lil Jake and didn't find fish. Has anyone fished the flats outside Tremain this winter. The only thing we didn't try was the 30' to 40' water up on the flats!

I doubt the flats will hold many LLs right now, the alewives are not stong swimmers & they are locked up most of the winter in deep water. Should start to see some browns down on the southern shelf and also over on the east side off of the cliffs. Hoping to get over there next week & will report. -Andy