Copper line.

rolmops

I just purchased a Penn GTI super level wind from Pike Hunter and I want to fill it with copper line.

My first thought is 30# test copper wire, but then I saw that A-Tom-Mik only sells the 45# test material.

Why does A-Tom-Mik sell the 45# but not the 30# material and does 600 feet of 45# fit on a 340 GTI or must it be 30 pound test, which is available, but not from Tom.

thank you,Cornelis.

the sink rate of 30 lb copper is essentially the same as lead core. Not worth the hassle IMO, for the same sink rate, you might as well just use core. No, 600' of 45 lb copper will not fit on a Penn 340 at least not with any backing. It should be ok for 300' of copper with power pro backing.

Tim

300 yds of 50# powerpro and 300' of 45# copper will fit on that reel nicely.

And in anticipation of your next questions...

Mine is set up as such...friction taped arbor--300yds PP--double palomar knot and 150# Spro heavy swivel--trilene knot and 10 feet of 50# mono (for board or release attachment)--trilene knot and another Spro--haywire twist and copper length--haywire twist and another Spro--trilene knot and 30' of 20# or 30# floro leader to terminal swivel.

Always attach your board or release in the same spot on the mono so you know where to look for wear, cut and retie when needed.

The 300 copper takes a lot of fish throughout the season on my boat.

Cornelis,

I looked up Atomiks website and this is what I found:

Penn 340 GTi 300' 45# copper/backing/leader

Will reach 60' to 65' of depth

Penn's GTi series ready rigged with copper/backing and fluorocarbon leader 300 yds 50# Power Pro backing on each set-up A-TOM-MIK .037 45# copper sections 200', 300', 400', 500' & 600' 50' Ande Fluorocarbon leader 30# test per each Albright knot used for connections to backer and leader

Also, Andy is right off the bat about inserting mono between power pro and copper. This will allow you to set up release on the mono from your board.

Best of luck,

Anthony