Trolling Fly Tying Tips???

MarkNY

i recently ordered some supplies to tie my own trolling flies. im an experienced tyer but ive never tied trolling flies. here is what ive been doing so far. i use my tube fly attachment in my vice to hold my bullet head. tape two colors of banded mylar together, put a drop of glue on the bullet head, glue mylar to bullet head, rotate vice to spin mylar, glue down, then tie thread wraps over top to fasten down. that process seems to work fine but im having trouble getting a good profile when i pull the mylar back. i get more of an umbrella shape as opposed to a slender baitfish pattern. any tips on how to get a better profile? ive only tried medium cut mylar so far and im thinking that fine cut will be easier to work with. any tips on tying trolling flies would be appreciated. thanks, mark

Attach line in fly you made and connect it to a thin tube/bamboo stick. Draw it through water in your test tank(sink, tub, fish tank). You will see the shape it becomes with water pressure. You have the shape right now. If you add fine mylar, you will notice more action on the endtrails of the fly. Certain mylar's have a stiffer body to them. After you tie a bunch, you will notice which mylar is stronger. You can affect the fish shape a little by putting the stiffer mylars on the inside or outside of the fly or even trimming strands off. An example of a stiff mylar is Yellow Mirage, Blue Mirage and Trans. Green Crinkle to name a few. I add small amounts of fine-cut to regular cut mylar. Green, Aqua, U.V. Yellow and Mirage is deadly. Silicone tends to decrease the flies shape. You have to trim silicone both in length and amount to get the best wave. Crinkle cuts have a higher reflective property in water and dance a lot. The fish will tell you what color and dance they like each day. The fun is catching them on something that you have created yourself..........