WTB: Inexpensive Finger Lakes Fishing Boat 16' to 18' <$2000

Greetings, LOU Community!

I'm just throwing a line out there, so to speak... My future wife and I are looking to buy an inexpensive fishing boat this Spring, but we are on a tight budget, and I can afford no more than about $2000, and hopefully less. We do understand this is a tall order, but we thought we try asking here. If anyone thinks they know of such a boat, please let me know.

Ideally, I am looking for a boat and trailer package that weighs less than 2200 lbs. fully loaded, so I'm thinking 16' to 18' at most. We are hoping to find a boat that will be used primarily for fishing, but "enough boat" to take the nieces tubing occasionally. We have dock space on Keuka Lake for the season, and would primarily be using it there. We don't mind if it's old, and cosmetically rough, but we're hoping for one that's mechanically sound, has been well maintained, and is basically ready to go for the spring. We'd very much prefer an open bow as well. I've seen old Starcraft aluminum boats and other makes that would seem to fit us very well, now I'm just hoping someone has one they would sell for less than $2000.

Thank you in advance!

-CatFisher

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again!

I just wanted to report that we have found our new boat! I just wanted to thank everyone who messaged me with ideas and offers. So thanks, everyone!

We wound up with a 1975 MFG Gypsy 16 foot with a 65 hp Evenrude outboard. OK, so it's not exactly a fishing boat, but we really liked it, it's in great shape for it's age, and it was in our budget. Here's hoping Spring comes early!

Thanks again to everyone, I very much appreciate the help and support I find here at LOU!

-CatFisher

In case that boat doesn't work out for you, I have a 16ft smokercraft with a 60 hp mercury and trailer that is in excellent shape. Boat is an 1982, Outboard is about ten years newer. Asking 2,995.00 Dave 570-241-6831

In case that boat doesn't work out for you, I have a 16ft smokercraft with a 60 hp mercury and trailer that is in excellent shape. Boat is an 1982, Outboard is about ten years newer. Asking 2,995.00 Dave 570-241-6831

Thanks, Dave, but that's a little out of our price range, and the MFG is basically a done deal.

Thank you, though!

-CatFisher

Glad you found something in your budget. Hope it works out for you and your family.My first boat wasn't exactly a fishing boat. But I caught a lot of fish out of it.

Hello again! Thank you for your good will! We are hoping it turns out well for our first "real" boat.

Thanks again for your help!

-CatFisher