My sonar readings on my HUmminbird 565

Gotta Bite

I was considering getting a newer sonar and or GPS this season, but I think I am going to wait another season or two. Since that is the case I want to figure out how I can get it to read truer, for a lack of a better term. I will be out in 100' + deep water and the screen is filled with fish. So much so that it seems impossible not to snag one while trolling. I am not sure how I can get it to read more accurately. I know I can adjust the sensitivity on it. What is the rule of thumb on this? The deeper you are the less sensitive the setting? To me that seems to go against logic. Just wondering what your humminbird users or other guys who don't have the big money sonars do to achieve this. Don't get me wrong there are times I am trolling in what looks like is a barren desert down there on the screen but like I said other times, the screen is black from top to bottom with fish. Thanks and I appreciate any feedback.

It sounds like you must turn sensitivity down a bit. On my 575 which is fairly similar to your 565 I always start at default settings and play around a bit until there is a good reading.At higher speeds,when scouting out an area,I usually lower the sensitivity a bit in order to prevent information overload.It also works a bit better when you just use the 20 degree beam at higher trolling speed and only use the wider beam once you are slowed down.

GB,

It's hard to tell you what to do without knowing how you've been using the unit in the past. Do you by chance have the Fish ID feature turned on? If so you're going to want to turn that off and leave it off. Which transducer do you have and how are you using it? If you're ever out our way I'd be happy to show you how we have our Humminbird set up for our applications.

If yours is the same as mine it has the dual beam ducer. set on the 60 degree It is going to look more cluttered as it is covering much more area. width at bottom is equal to your depth. use that to find bait and fish pockets. then set to 20 degree to hone in on them.

I set my sensitivity just hard enough to erase the "noise" or weeds,mud, particles. But I fish Fingerlakes so I need to find 2lb fish :lol:

These are just my preference. If you dont play with it too much you'll learn how to read anything as long as it is mounted correctly. Good Luck

I'll try restoring it to the factory defaults as well. I do have the fish ID usually on and will now turn it off when in use. I do not have a trolling plate on my boat. I have the dual beam transducer on my boat and Billy I have only fished the eastern end of the lake and have my boat moored on the Little Salmon River. So unfortunately I won't be able to make it over to the western end of the lake, which I think you are at. Maybe if I hop on somebody's boat on that side of the lake I'll run into maybe. I have heard a lot of good things about the earlier salmon bite and the infamous Niagra bar on that end of the lake. One of these days I hope to make it over that way. Thanks for the feedback guys.

GB,

Definitely turn the fish ID feature off - I think you'll be amazed at the difference. Fish ID tries to identify actual fish but what frequently ends up happening is that anything that causes a sonar return is displayed as a fish and it will lead you into believing that the area you're in is full of fish when in fact it may not be. You'll want to read up on sonar principles so that you know how to interpret the graph with the ID turned off, but once you learn more about it you'll be able to pull a ton more information from your sonar than you can with the ID feature turned on. You'll be able to see fish, bait, rocks, soft bottom, hard bottom, submerged trees, etc - all of which is displayed as fish with your ID feature turned on. The link that Jeremy posted above appears to be full of good information and should help a lot.

Thanks Billy V and Chrome slayer. I am looking forward to trying it out after getting this info. The only problem is I'll have to wait another month or so before I can do so.

• 4 months later...