Walker rigger with coated cable? SNT without coated cable?

I have a set of walker's on my boat and my dad gave me his old cannon speed temp. From what I've read

1. walkers don't do well with coated cable

2. cannon needs coated cable to work properly.

So, if I was to elect to go without coated cable. How deep could I expect speed temp to operate at?

Any other options or suggestions?

It's not the Walkers that don't do well with coated cable, it's the cable itself that gets beat up over time. Walkers have a SS eye below the pulley to keep the wire centered, but it wears the coating on the cable.

If you fish a lot, the coated cable will need to be replaced/repaired once in awhile.

We have four Walker electrics on our boat and all have plain cable...The two side mounts also have bases that allow the booms to stand straight in the air....We just screw on a couple more feet ( 12inch sections ) on the booms and use them on planer boards...We use the orange string for this and no problem except what Rod mentioned about the guide eyes....They tend to wear out this string after a season........but never had problem with uncoated cable....As long as you don't "kink" it...will last a long time Make sure the pulleys are straight down on your walkers ....this will keep that cable from running against it...Our old 22 footer had Cannons and plain cable worked just fine...Good Luck 8)

The SNT will either work fine or just go blank screen. Without coated cable we used to get to about 70 feet and then the screen would go blank. With the coated cable it still goes blank at about 100 feet on our unit. Also, as it's been mentioned before, if the screen goes blank on you, wrap a wet rag or hand towel around the antenna. The "scientists" will tell you it has no effect but it works for some reason.

Walker makes a data cable that has a inner core to carry signals for the camera. This also works for all units requiring coated cable... Call Chris at St. Peters he is a site sponsor and ask him about it. We will be running this on our Depth raider this coming year.