i just bought some trolling spoons, flashers etc and with the deal it came with a 6ft. rod. pretty heavy, maybe like a ocean rod with a nice penn long beach no. 67 reel spooled with what looks like to be heavy mono like 40 pound. it has little swivels every 25-50 ft. the guides on the rod are metal. i was wondering what i can use this rod for in my trolling outfit. should i switch it from mono to a junk rod or leadcore or just leave the line and use it for something else. any help would be greatly appriciated. Codie

It is a rig rod, the swivels are for attaching a leader and light spoon every so many feet. That way you can use one rod to fish with five spoons at different depths. I use a one pound lead on the end and slow troll it.

yea i guess thats what it is, it sort of sounds cool to use, what exactly is a seth green rig? with the rigger rod wouldnt you have to cut all the lines going up if you catch a fish on the bottom line? or just use really small snaps that will go through the guides and on the reel. then all you would have to do is take the lure off them until you get to the bottom lure which has the fish in it. would that work?

When I use them I run one off each side of the boat, If I fish alone I reel up to the swivel stick the rod in a rod holder adn reach out to remove the leader with the spoon on it. If I have someone with me they reel and back up then I take it off. It is not the most exciting way to fish because you fight the big hunk of lead. I use them on the finger lakes only. Usually put them on when nothing else is working or if I'm fishing alone and get tired of only being able to run two lures on two rods the traditional way. You have to use real thin sutton spoons when you run them or you wont get good action.