what to do this fall.

hey guys,

this season i anticipate alot more fishing. i am getting back into it, from the piers at fair Haven, and from the wall at Oswego. When the salmon start there routine this fall (august or so, i guess) where could should a guy go with a boat? we dont have downriggers on it, but whaere could we go and cast from the boat and have good luck? or are there any other techniques that syou could give. looking forward to a fish filled fall and winter, thanks for all the help.

Yes, you have it bad. Give us a few months on the silver mature class please! When their agenda turns to spawning, they will creep in, many times doing what we call a "false run". It is during this time(late August-early Oct) that the Salmon are most vulnerable to casting lures. It is primarily an aggression or frustration bite, as they have incredibly discerning eyesight. Often it is the "faker" looking patterns that work in the fall shallows, hot flourescent colors, glo-in-the dark stuff, as well as large bladed spinners and loud rattle baits.

Respect the fact that trolling rules the day and use it to your advantage. Stay inside the ends of the piers, or stay inside the harbor itself. Large fleets doing circles with their boats will push some salmon in super shallow and along breakwalls. They will congregate around these as they are a barrier. At the Oak and Olcott the Salmon are actually seen swimming up and down the break walls, I imagine Oswego is the same. First light and last light are usually best, but all night long can be great where it's legal. Many Salmon that aren't quite ready to run upstream will "test the waters" of the harbors during the night. Keep tabs on what is happening as temp is important. A roll over or inversion can bring early action, otherwise most of it will be after Sept 10th or so. Good Luck!

Yes, you have it bad. Give us a few months on the silver mature class please! When their agenda turns to spawning, they will creep in, many times doing what we call a "false run". It is during this time(late August-early Oct) that the Salmon are most vulnerable to casting lures. It is primarily an aggression or frustration bite, as they have incredibly discerning eyesight. Often it is the "faker" looking patterns that work in the fall shallows, hot flourescent colors, glo-in-the dark stuff, as well as large bladed spinners and loud rattle baits.

Respect the fact that trolling rules the day and use it to your advantage. Stay inside the ends of the piers, or stay inside the harbor itself. Large fleets doing circles with their boats will push some salmon in super shallow and along breakwalls. They will congregate around these as they are a barrier. At the Oak and Olcott the Salmon are actually seen swimming up and down the break walls, I imagine Oswego is the same. First light and last light are usually best, but all night long can be great where it's legal. Many Salmon that aren't quite ready to run upstream will "test the waters" of the harbors during the night. Keep tabs on what is happening as temp is important. A rool over or inversion can bring early action, otherwise most of it will be after Sept 10th or so. Good Luck!