How much copper is needed?

I would like to invest in at least (1) copper set up and add it to our arsenal. What in you recommendation would you suggest for a copper set with backing and leader? Thanks for you suggestions.

Tony (Slapshot)

I would go with a 500 or 600 from Atommik. It is marked so you know how much copper you have off the reel. My 500 was the most productive last season for kings. Atommik sells reels all rigged with backing, copper and leader.

If I was to have only one copper rig, it would have as much copper as possible on it up to 600 feet if it will fit your choice of reel. Then I would run it in the chute at any length of deployment I want. A big line counter reel would be the best choice but you can count passes of the line guide on a non counter.

This way if you want to run 20 feet down you let out only 100 feet or if you want to run 60 feet down you pay out 300 feet etc etc up to 600 feet out for near 120 feet down.

It's all approximate considering speed , lure drag, current and other factors, but for a single copper rig , having enough to run any depth down the chute is my choice. Once you get other copper you can go with shorter length and more backing and use them on boards or outriggers with releases hooked to the backing for preferred depth. Leader would be 20 feet or more of flourocarbon to match the copper test. Backing would be 50 lb. braid anchored securely to the spool arbor for no slip.

Mark

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Don't know of any line-counter reels that will hold 600'. Just get the 600' pre-marked from A-tom-mik with the large capacity reel (sold at a-tom-mik also). Personally, I would get a 300' and just add torpedo divers or pinch-on weights to get additional depth.