FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 8,13

Total Boated:8,8

Species Breakdown:browns and one steelhead

Hot Lure: Smithwicks, fire tiger day one naturals day two

Trolling Speed: 1.8-2.5

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 10-20 was where the fish hit.

Lure Depth:

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

The weather Gods looked down on us for yet another Lake O trip. We drove straight out Thursday night and were fishing by 7:30. We went west in 2-3's with a pretty stiff west wind and found a bunch of boats about two miles down. We set up and landed our first fish shortly after. About a 4lb brown. We ran the two color inline set ups and added a small shot ahead of the lures. Everything was working well. We quickly figured out where we needed to be to get bit and mixed in to target the water when we could. We did have a few problems when landing fish we had hooked going into the wind but everything went well for the most part. Then as the early afternoon arrived a boat came out set up coming right at us and pushed us into shallower water and we lost a lure to the bottom. We decided to pull lines and head in. We went 8 for 8. Not bad consdering we didn't know squat heading into this. Oh yeah, hot lures were firetigers, one was a smithwick, not sure what the other one was.

Day two had us up at 3:30. We were back to the spot before anyone else and setting lines in. First fish was on before the third rod was set. It was much larger than the previous days fish but was lost before we landed it. Second fish came just after setting that lure back out and was also lost. Day was not starting out to well. Finally third fish was landed on the same lure. We had a new hot lure for day 2, Smithwick sliver blue. We hooked up again and I couldn't move the fish. He was way back and thrashing up top but I couldn't move him. I fought the fish for what seemed like an eternity and thought this fish had to be hooked in the tail. After a lengthy battle the fish was near the back of the boat and it was actually two fish. We started to pull other lines to see which one the other fish was on. Wouldn't you know it was the last line we checked. Trying to net the fish we lost the first one as the line snapped. Then the second fish thrashed and parted the weakened leader. two lures lost...... We trolled around some more and moved off to some new ground and found ourselves hooked with three lines on bottom. After just loosing two lures I didn't want to lose three more so we scrambled to pull boards and recover lures. We got hem all back! We trolled around some more and hung up a couple more times. Once due to not knowing the water and again from being pushed in shallower by other boats and hanging bottom. We did learn something very valuable that morning. Two color lead core set ups work great if you don't get pushed in too shallow. Otherwise they suck cause you'll hang bottom and loose lures every time. The same also applies to lures with split shot ahead of them. We re-grouped in the afternoon for the evening bite. We purchased more lures (we lost 8 total that morning). Got rid of the lead both cores and shot and headed back out for the evening bite. Landed a small steelhead and an 11.5 lb brown. That was it for the evening. Pulling lines in we discovered we had another brown on one of the lines. Sunday we decided to just head home instead of fishing the morning. Overall we thought the browns didn't fight much compared to what we were expecting. Even the Kokanee roods handled them. The 11 lber was really the only good battle aside from the two at once.

Good times, we got out both days so can't complain about that. Thanks to everyone that helped me out.

Be back for Kings in August.

Spike

Nice report, Spike.

It's also nice to see you admit problems that I know I've struggled with- i.e., losing lures due to long lines (or leads, or leadcore line) that are running a little deeper than you thought. It's form of support, whether you know it or not, to report your troubles and challenges, as well as your successes, because some of us less-experienced folks can find it encouraging - to know that we're not the only ones that have screwups and cf#$%s once in a while!

MarkG