okuma catalina clicker

I just picked up a couple of Catalina CT30D reels to try out and I was surprised when I went to turn the reel handle and felt significant resistance. After a bit of testing, I figured out that when the clicker is engaged, it's much harder to turn the handle. Is this normal? I've never noticed a dramatic change in the amount of force required to turn the handle with any of the other reels we fish, at least not to this extent. Not sure that I like it. Thanks for the feedback.

Gator, I will look into this for you. I have a set of Catalinas that have been super for me but they are 2+ seasons old. I know they have reconfigured some clicker systems to make them "beefier" for our blistering Lake O Kings that love to blow clickers up. I aquired some clarion 45 high speeds and they do what you describe. I will say this, we have boated an incredible amount of fish on the Catalinas, the drags are stellar.

Hey Vince,

Thanks. The reels look great and I expect that the solution is as easy as turning the clicker off after the initial run. I believe that the gentleman I acquired them from said that they were one year old. And beefy is a good word to describe these things in general...

Gator