DEC schedules chemical treatment of Seneca Lake

Lets see tho I was outa state this year acording to many of my friends from Millport(town on the creek) ,this was the best run of healthy big fish they have seen sence they were kids 40 yrs ago which means record number of small fry in creek right now...and for those who remember the days of scooping smelt by the 1000 s and the smelt population started to decline in the early 80s to non existent or very very few if any today ...kinda makes a dumb non edgeabucated plummer like me if their timing might be a little STUPID............na me justa plummer..............."""""".Some minor fish and aquatic invertebrate mortality is expected and may be visible."""""

Yes, there was a good run of rainbows in the Catherine Creek this year- first year in recent years that the weather was cold enough to hold the main run in the creek until after April 1st. Best run in forty years? no way- not even close.

Seneca is suffering from elevated lamprey numbers- the wounding rate is quite high, especially for fish on the South end. Look at some of the Seneca fishing reports from last March- some of the landlocks have holes in them the size of silver dollars.

Hopefully the new lamprey weir near the "power plant" in Montour will block future lamprey migrations. If the weir proves effective, upstream lampride treatments will in time be unnecessary.

Our dear friend Obama slashed funding for the lampride program (for the entire Great Lakes, Finger Lakes and Lake Champlain) starting in 2012. This years treatment may be the last treatment for who nows how long.