Wind Directions and what they do to the Lake?

My main port is Olcott. I was just wondering if anyone could explain what the different wind directions do to set up waves. I have a 21' boat and there have been a few times where a bad day could have been avoided by knowing a bit more. Tomorrow for example, they are calling for 15mph winds at W then switching to a WNW around noon.

Winds push the waves directly in the direction it is traveling; however other than the top inch or two of water, the water does not move in the same direction. I am thinking first that you mean a “bad day†means caused by big waves & a rough ride. (?) If this is the case then check out the following website:

http://www.weather.gov/forecasts/wfo/se ... neWeek.php

You can get a pretty good correlation between wave height & wind direction by toggling back & forth between the wave height screen and the wind direction screen. (click on “more†& use the pull down) The little flags on the wind speed screen point into the wind.

For any of the locations on the map, you can only depend upon it being protected from waves by the shoreline. For example Olcott is only protected by the South and somewhat by the SE. Watertown is only protected on the East & NE, hence it has the most “rough†days. On the other hand Rochester/I-bay are in a slight coastline cove thus is protected on the South, SE & SW and is very often the calmest place on the lake and very fishable when everyone else gets blown off the lake. (Be forewarned, Rochester gets very rough during a North or NE wind)

I would not expect much change in the waves at Olcott due to a West wind vs a WNW wind unless there was a change in wind speed. Normally wind speeds increase around 10:00AM and generally begin to subside after 3:00PM. Of course with fronts or thunderstorms moving in, throw the generalities out the window.

One more comment, generally beginning this time of year thru August, when the wind picks up out of the west, WNW or NW, it generally stays that way for 2-3 days.

If on the other hand, you mean a “rough day†because the fishing went someplace in a hand basket when the wind shifted, that’s a different story. (With a little longer answer)

Tom B.

(LongLine)