Auto-Bungee

LongLine

FWIW - I have a small open run-about for chasing the T&S (18 ft’r) and I’ve often been asked how I keep it under control when setting up or fighting a fish while fishing solo on Big-O. My 75 Hp Evinrude and steering system are not adjustable for tension and even though at WOT I can take my hands off the wheel with no problem; at trolling speed I quickly go into circles with the bigger engine.

An auto-pilot is out of the question for me as the engine doesn’t put out a lot of current & those units aren’t cheap, so this is how I use a $0.79 bungee-cord:

I installed an eye-bolt (not a screw) on the side of my console then simply loop the cord thru the steering wheel. Both ends of the cord simply hook to the eye.

AUTO-BUNGIEa.jpg

What happens when hooked up, is that the engine turns slightly and the wheel turns but the bungee tightens when it hits a spoke on the wheel. If the boats turns in a slight arc path, it actually helps you bring the fish in if you land it on the outboard side of the arc. The important thing to remember with this set-up is that the idea is to keep the boat from going into circles and not necessarily keep the motor perfectly straight.

Many factors will determine how straight your boat runs other than how straight the engine is. Basically if you have anything causing more drag on one side of the boat, it’ll swing you in that direction. i.e. You have only one rigg’r down; you have 2 down at greatly different depths; you have 1 planner board out; 1 dipsey; 1 lead core, etc and of course the wind.

Initially, I loop the cord in a space on the wheel that keeps the engine straight. After gear is deployed, I’ll change which wheel space the cord is looped thru and observe how straight it runs. While driving the boat, the cord is unhooked, as I like to zig-zag. When a fish hits, I’ll turn the boat slightly down wind and hook the cord. Only takes a second or two.

Hope it helps someone.

Tom B.

(LongLine)