The passing of another one of the good guys

I just found out the the obit for Capt Bernie Klimczak appears in todays Buffalo news. Bernie was a fixture out of Oak Orchard in the "discovery years" of the late 70's and 80's. He brought experience from the fingerlakes and lake michigan to Lake O and was best known for his Miller spoon programs. He always lent a hand mechanically, and I saw him bail out many a paid mechanic. He operated Oak Orchard charter service at first from a bridged Silverton, and then from a 10 meter Trojan (which I believe is the "Maverick" boat today). He saw the future, as even in the 80's he said we would one day raise our own Chinooks like his friends in Owen sound did.

My favorite memory was when he had a glimmer in his eye as he asked me to accompany him in his paddle boat to try and catch Chinooks during the October run. We went 2 for 3 on ping-a-t's. He retired down to Florida several years ago, as he and his late wife had already spent winters down there in the Keys. He will be missed by many.

Vince,

It is sad when you lose a friend and a pioneer of this great sport. My family and I send our condolences to you and your friend Bernies family.

Howie

So many of the Oak pioneers are no longer with us...just sad... many of these people were a big part of my teenage memories and beyond out there...

"Just got another one on that Pearl and Purty!!!"- here's to ya Bernie... catch a few more up there on the Chinook I!!!

My family fished with him back in the 80's, and Bernie and his wife were pretty good friends with my Grandparents. I did get the chance to meet him when I was pretty young, and I remember he was pretty famous for some of his tasty fish boils he would have. My Grandparents will be over on the 4th, so I'm sure I will hear a few more stories about the good old days on Lake O on Monday. Rest in peace Bernie