What to do in colder water.

Guys - I could not believe my friggin eyes tonight when I went out in the water. The surface temperature at Bronte is 46F!!!!

Just yesterday it was 72F.

Anyhow, I tried from 75ft - 125 FOW. Found baitballs at 80 ft and marked a few big boys at the same depth, but I only had two shakers on.

I fished everything between 20 and 30 ft. But I must say it was unproductive really.

What is the best technique - move into shallow water and set the spoons in shallow water, or move to warmer surface water much further into Lake O? If you search for warmer water, what temp do you look for? Is 65F enough?

Thanks.

What you have going on there is an "upwelling". Some fish will stay where they originally were--just higher in the water column----but most will move offshore to where the warmer water is. Run south until you see the temp climbing several degrees and then start fishing south.

Kings like a little water above and below them.

What Paul said :yes: Motor out deep and keep your eye glued to that surface temp. It will start to climb fast at some point, but depending on the port and the conditions, it will vary as to how far you need to go. As soon as the begins to shoot up, stop and drop, trolling south (in Canada...north in the USA). Many times you can crush the fish in these conditions.....and have them mostly all to yourself ;)

I can only say what I have expiereced, which is a lot less that Paul so he may have better insight. I just head out and keep my eyes peeled on the surface temp on my fish hawk. After a little, you will see it start to climb up slowly. Keep motoring out and at some point, you will see the temp start to raise at a much faster rate. That temp break is where I start and troll out from there. Some of the best fishing can be had on those days for those willing to run offshore.

There are a couple guys on this board that fished last year with me late summer and we were greeted with 45 degree water in Oswego. We ran offshore and found better temp in 500 fow. We had a steady pick out there for two days all by ourselves, while all the boats inside got ones or zeros.