1997 Penn Yan Rage 223

Im about to purchase a 97 Penn Yan Rage. I dont know much about these boats in general and i was just wondering if you guys had some good/ bad info!

Its got 150 hours and appears to be in good shape. The owner bought the boat from the original owner and claims it has been stored inside it entire career.

Any info is good! Thanks,

Tom

Heres some pics...

SANY0347.jpg

SANY0345.jpg

SANY0326.jpg

SANY0323.jpg

SANY0321.jpg

I've got a 95 and like it a lot. Same motor I believe too. I've got about that many hour on it this season. My boat has probably 1500 to 1600 hours on the motor. Had it running 32+ mph on the GPS with 4 people on board last weekend messing around with Muskybob when we were heading out fishing. I don't usually run it like that though. She'll cruise at 22-23 mph good though.

I looked at the 225 Outrage before I got the 223 Rage. The 225 hard top does not leave too much head room (5'10" I think). If you're any taller than 5'8", you'll appreciate the canvas top which is higher. My boat rides surprisingly well in rougher water.

It wandered real bad. I put the Super Fin Marine Twin Fin on the outdrive this Spring and it has barely any wander now. Oh yeah, that 32mph was with the super fin installed.

Fuel economy...

Spring browns with a 3/4 mile or so run across the bay both ways and trolling out the chute for 8 hours...4 or 5 days on about 20 gallons (half tank).

Now with running out a couple/few miles and back, it's about 12 gallons a day.

For the Atomik Challenge, I ran from Port Bay to Fair Haven Friday night, fished out of FH Saturday, returned to FH and dropped the crew off and ran back to Port Bay. This used about 25 gallons.

Trailering...

Make sure the brakes work. I guess it is about 4500 to 5000 pounds for the whole rig. I pull it with a 2005 Dodge Dakota and it does good. This truck is rated to 7400 pounds but I feel this is the most I would ever like to tow with this truck. I can do 65mph down the Thruway with cruise and no reason to go faster.

I hope it has an electric winch for that bunk trailer...

Fishing...

I'm running 4 riggers and 4 dipsy's if I have enough people without problems. I did experience some tangles while setting lines down in the past because of the bad wandering so I would stand the dipsy's up so I set the rigger lines under them. The lure on the boom rigger would catch the dipsy line. Since I got the Fin, I don't have to do that anymore unless the current is pulling them bad. In the past, I ran a trolling bag or two, this year either none or one if I really need to slow down. 4 people fit good, 5 is tight and 6 is fairly cramped.

Awesome info Horizons! thanks man,

Well thats it i guess im commited.

It does have an electric winch. I drive a 2005 Tahoe with a 5.7L so towing shouldnt be a problem.

thats great gas mileage also....

I have a 97 rage hardtop. It's a great boat. We fished tues. In Ontario and it was rough. The boat handles the waves nicely. Good luck with her, let us know how you like it!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png