Copper Reel Choices from ATM

I'm going to beat this horse just a little more.

I'm going to order a loaded copper from Tom at ATM. Below is were my line of thinking is at on these reels.

Clarion 400 or 450 high speed- Are high speeds where it's at? is the jury out on the Clarion.

Takota 400 or 450- will I regret not having high speeds? Is the Shimano that much better of a reel for the cost.

Saltist 300- Every reel on my rig is Diawa but the linecounter on the left will be in my arms way while cranking and I think it will get annoying. Once again is high speed where it's at and is a 300 enough if I only have one. I'm thinking this is my last choice this setup is -2 as far as plus and minuses go

What do you guys think? BTW I fish from the Bar to the Olcott so west end guy. I just want to do it right the first time around, I'm getting one this year and one next year.

I would go with a Saltist without the line counter. For coppers, I would recommend getting a 300, 400 and a 500. These are the most used coppers in my boat. You could buy one 500 or 600 and only let out the proper amount of copper for the depth you are fishing. Tom sells marked coppers.

I think having just a Tekota 800LC loaded up with 50# powerpro backer and 450' of copper is a great way to go. It'll cover everything all the way down to around 100 feet deep.

You can use the counter to let out just what you need, depending on how far out you want to go, and you can reset exactly where you got the bite!

If you lose some line at some point due to a tangle and have to splice in some more, you dont need to worry about 'marked' copper. The counter takes care of that.

The big Tekota with the counter is a bit more expensive, but it is an investment that gives great flexibility, repeatability, and a reel quality this is exceptional.

Just one opinion...

JAM

Tekota is a good reel....buuuut no comparison to the high speed gears of the Clarion 55L or the Diawa Saltist.

That being said, my rigger reels are Saltist, my diver reels are Saltist. Very smooth drags and very well built. They start around 180 bucks. All my coppers are Clarion 55L high speeds. IMO as smooth as a Saltist, same high speed gears, only difference is they are around 120 bucks.

Good luck with your decision.

I went with a Shimano 800 with marked copper. No lincounter. First Tekota I'll own I'm a Diawa man but have fished with them and they have nice drags and fish great. Looking forward to fishing with it.

Depending on how this goes, maybe next year I'll get another Tekota or try out a 300 high speed Saltist.

Thanks for the input.

Recieved my reel yesterday. This thing is one bad mofo. I have fished with Tekota's on friends boats many times but not any of the big boys over 600 series, very very nice. I can't wait to tie into a screamer on this reel. I'm teaming it up with a 9 ft Talora copper/leadcore rod which should make for a nice combo.