humminbird 757 c acting up

tdejong302

My hummingbird combo unit a 757c is acting up. The chartplotter is working great. However the f.f. is not working right. It shows horizontal lines initially and then reads the bottom eventually afer about 20 minutes. It marks the bottom okay but will not mark fish. I have another combo unit close to it that ready my downriigger ball and fish. So I know fish are there. Any suggestions on fixing this expensive piece of equipment. I check all connections which are good. Checked transducer which if level and tight. I think its a tranducer and not programming problem due to the f.f. acting up initially and then working but not marking fish. Any help would be appreciated. I can't afford another $800 for a color combo unit. This one is only two years old. Hbird hadn't been helpful. Didn't return my email. Hung up on my first call.....2nd call I was told pretty much $150 to just look at it. ie... more money into a very expensive unit. It amazes me that they will loose a customer over poor service.

I have heard the tranducers weren't very good a coupe years ago. How can I get a new tranducer and if it doesn't fix it send it back.

I feel your pain.....could be if your running both units at the same time your getting interferance (sp)....... try just running one.....I have two 788ci and use one for GPS and the other for depthfinder when I turn the sonar on the GPS unit I got those lines also.....I got more help on this site with mine than from HB............

Just thinking.......when my transducer went bad ............the bottom reading was a very thin line almost a blue color and I didn't mark much of anything else.............the bad transducers were made in 2010 as I understand it............if I have to get a new one and have to pay for it I,m about 95% sure I would check what people say here about these...........Airmar...

http://www.airmartechnology.com/

This is a 2009. I wish Humminbird would step forward and do whats right. They know the tranducers were poorly built. I will wait and see if someone can help me. If not I'm not sure what I will do. If I have to pay more for this I will not be a positive vocal piece for hummingbirds products or customer service.

Well after 3 calls and 3 emails to hummingbird I was told it would be $150 just to look at the unit. Its two years old which makes it 1 year past warranty.

Poor service pretty much sums it up.

I will see if Gander Mountain will let me return the transducer if it doesn't fix my problem. I think I have a 50/50 chance of it fixing it.

What amazes me is that Humminbird knows these transducers were not very good a couple years ago but refuse to fix a faulty problem. ;(

thx. to those who tried to help me troubleshoot this unit.

When I sent my 788ci in to repair the broken SD card cover, I made the mistake of sending in the broken parts..........I got the unit back , finger prints and smears all over the screen , open up the SD card cover.... :devil: ....white glue smeared here and there they super glued the broken parts back in the unit.. :devil: ....Oh ya Johnson Outdoors is a GREAT company !!!!! :no:

• 2 weeks later...
My hummingbird combo unit a 757c is acting up. The chartplotter is working great. However the f.f. is not working right. It shows horizontal lines initially and then reads the bottom eventually afer about 20 minutes. It marks the bottom okay but will not mark fish. I have another combo unit close to it that ready my downriigger ball and fish. So I know fish are there. Any suggestions on fixing this expensive piece of equipment. I check all connections which are good. Checked transducer which if level and tight. I think its a tranducer and not programming problem due to the f.f. acting up initially and then working but not marking fish. Any help would be appreciated. I can't afford another $800 for a color combo unit. This one is only two years old. Hbird hadn't been helpful. Didn't return my email. Hung up on my first call.....2nd call I was told pretty much $150 to just look at it. ie... more money into a very expensive unit. It amazes me that they will loose a customer over poor service.

I have heard the tranducers weren't very good a coupe years ago. How can I get a new tranducer and if it doesn't fix it send it back.

Sir,

I will be happy to assist you regarding the issues you are having with your 757c unit. However, I would need to know a few other things such as the serial number of your unit, does your unit have the most recent software update, had the unit been working for the past two years and then just start this? IF it has been working well until now then I would check the transducer cable for any damage such as a cut, crimp, or pinch in the cable. Also has anything changed on the boat? New spark plugs, battery, motor, trolling motor, or has a new unit been added to the boat? Any of these changes could allow interference to show up now that you may have not seen before.

If your unit is returned to the factory for service, we would recommend that both the unit and the transducer be sent in for service. The out of warranty repair fee on our products is available online at the below link:

http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?ContentId=1764

If you are located in Canada we also offer service centers in Canada and can also be found on our site at the below link:

http://www.humminbird.com/FAQ.aspx?Contentid=2678

When I sent my 788ci in to repair the broken SD card cover, I made the mistake of sending in the broken parts..........I got the unit back , finger prints and smears all over the screen , open up the SD card cover.... :devil: ....white glue smeared here and there they super glued the broken parts back in the unit.. :devil: ....Oh ya Johnson Outdoors is a GREAT company !!!!! :no:

I would like to research your service history on your unit. Would you please send me an IM with your name/address/ or your repair service number.

Thank you,

Deborah @ Humminbird

Thx. Deborah but like I mentioned before. This unit is only 2 years old. I won't spend another $150 on a unit that I have invested over $700. I find it amusing you offer help but want more $$$$$$. Thats not help. Its $$$$$$$.

Hummindbird sucks in my eyes and I won't buy another product. I will try and fix this unit. But not at $150 in your pocket.

Your response to this problem pretty much sums it up........ send more money our way. Your not helping you just sucking us dry.

Thx. Deborah but like I mentioned before. This unit is only 2 years old. I won't spend another $150 on a unit that I have invested over $700. I find it amusing you offer help but want more $$$$$$. Thats not help. Its $$$$$$$.

Hummindbird sucks in my eyes and I won't buy another product. I will try and fix this unit. But not at $150 in your pocket.

Your response to this problem pretty much sums it up........ send more money our way. Your not helping you just sucking us dry.

I understand that your unit is only 2 years old. And yes, I would like to help. Knowing more details about the problem such as the questions I asked prior

" However, I would need to know a few other things such as the serial number of your unit, does your unit have the most recent software update, had the unit been working for the past two years and then just start this? IF it has been working well until now then I would check the transducer cable for any damage such as a cut, crimp, or pinch in the cable. Also has anything changed on the boat? New spark plugs, battery, motor, trolling motor, or has a new unit been added to the boat? Any of these changes could allow interference to show up now that you may have not seen before."

With answers to the questions, this can help us in determining what the cause could be, such as a transducer or an accessory that may have been damaged or if the unit is now picking up interference which would be a simple fix rather than having to have the unit serviced. In trying to troubleshoot a problem the information I requested is vital to understand fully the extent of the problem you are having.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail please send me an IM.

I